[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Current Stand-Off recommendations

Current Stand-Off recommendations

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Current Stand-Off recommendations

Postby GreggChandler » Thu May 11, 2017 4:11 pm

What are the current recommendations for stand-offs between a few boards?

With only two micro server boards, I will probably use use two power supplies. How much space should I leave to insure adequate cooling, i.e. what length on the standoffs. I have them in front of a full size fan, running at 43 degrees C right now.

If I don't wire them together, will I be alright with conductive standoffs? Nylon? Aluminum? Brass?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
GreggChandler

Re: Current Stand-Off recommendations

Postby njpacoma » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:00 pm

I have assembled a cluster case from GeauxRobot's Raspberry Pi stack enclosures (base plus stackable extensions). Because I have mounted a fan on the top of each Parallella, I needed to put extra spacers between the layers. The metal standoffs are 25mm+6mm M3 and the nylon standoffs are 20mm+6mm M3. The GeauxRobot layers require drilling 2 extra holes in each for the board standoffs and, because of the layout of the layers, the spacers do not interact with the Parallella boards. This means I can have my fan powered by the board and yet not interfere with the electrics.

Parallella_Cluster2.jpg
Parallella_Cluster2.jpg (654.12 KiB) Viewed 14368 times
njpacoma

Re: Current Stand-Off recommendations

Postby GreggChandler » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks for sharing, that's a nice looking rig. I will consider that case.
GreggChandler

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A