[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - OS4E

OS4E

Re: OS4E

Postby SamJBarney » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm a bit confused.
From my understanding of OS design, which I admit is limited, you won't be able to use any of the libraries provided, like libmath and newlib, because those are built on code provided by the OS.
The reason for building a bootstrap compiler is to allow you to write the kernel and kernel libs that provide that code. Using the provided compiler wouldn't work because it is built for a specific OS, not the one you are writing.
I don't mean to be contentious; I am just trying to understand. Am I misunderstanding something about the provided toolchain or your design?
SamJBarney

Postby mrgs » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:15 am

- libraries : Yes, You are right. I can not use any delivered library/loader/kernel/... YET. I have to recompile these later on when I ready with the cores-kernel functions. Additionally these must fit for the Parallella/Epiphany/OS4E ARCH.
- compilers : Please let me use just the 'compiler' word. From my point of view (or based on my understanding), I am going to use the 'lower lever part of the Epiphany SDK' - compiler / assembler / bin utils ... which is capable to compile my pure C / assembly codes into 'machine code' /binary code. "I assume" the compiler does not know : is this an OS or an application or a library?! .
- misunderstanding : Well, maybe my poor English or poor knowledge occurs some non-clear situation. I beg Your pardon.
- SUMMARIZE: 'My' simple OS should work on the Epiphany with a 'little' HW support. ;) Regards, Gabor. Have a nice day!
| OS4E : A preemptive, multiprocessing, microkernel based OS for Epiphany ARCH |
mrgs

Postby SamJBarney » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:21 pm

SamJBarney

Postby mrgs » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:04 am

- 'Understanding' : My pleasure, and additionally it is a confirmation, it should work.
- OS4E : Yes it is. She is going to run on Epiphany.
- loader : Yes, I have to write a loader/starter - a little angel - which is prepare the all stuff around and inside Epiphany and then say : breathe!
- ARM side : (Better to say Zynq or more precisely PS+PL) : Well, the 'angel' must load the 'E-code' - as You wrote - and reprogram the PL (Programmable Logic) . 'As I guess' : for the proper 'external' memory handling we need a 'modded' PL : MMU+DMA?! ... anyway You are right, this is an another ARCH, so toolchain. One more trick: I wondering about the same OS code base for ARM and Epiphany. - I like to keep alive 'ARM PS (Processing System)' after the 'angel' finish her jobs.
- For Your questions: (1) ... or am I misunderstanding your intentions? : You got it. (2) Are you building both sides from scratch, or are you planning on using the provided Linux distribution to load your OS? Well, as I see the provided GNU/Linux is too heavy, I have built an another GNU/Linux yet. . BUT(!) I really wondering to start OS trials on ARM. ...
- Your OS : Very nice approaching. Good luck for it(!) Let we see Your code too(!) Regards, Gabor.
| OS4E : A preemptive, multiprocessing, microkernel based OS for Epiphany ARCH |
mrgs

Postby zmc » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:16 pm

This looks like a lot of fun. The angel/bootloader can probably be done with a modified uboot now that the sources are available. Do you have a repo setup / have any code yet?
zmc

Postby adexmont » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:34 am

Hi, i'm very interested in a native epiphany os.
I fantasized about DSL, SLAX, REACT-OS, that are the smallest os i had tried with success in a non arm computer.
Then a lot of friend tell me that the future will be firefox os .

It may call a 5 years university course but ... what is the way to have a dsl similar os running on epiphany?

The news on this post are quite old, is there already something to try (like an sd image unstable but barely usable) ?

I'm not a coder and i'm quite hard on understanding git and similar software instruments but is there any way i can help you on this task?

Thanks for your work.
Hope to see something relatively soon :P
adexmont

Previous

Return to Epiphany Operating System