[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - epu timing tool

epu timing tool

epu timing tool

Postby notzed » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:49 am

I've been hacking on a tool which can be used to display some timing information about instruction sequences as shown in the last update on this post:

http://a-hackers-craic.blogspot.com.au/ ... -tool.html

If you used the spu-timing-tool from the IBM for the CELL B.E. the final output might be familiar. It works on object files (linked or not).

I have a super-rough pipeline which tracks the register dependencies and dual issue rules based on the arch ref and some testing on the hardware. I've not tried to implement the fetch logic as yet although this also affects dual-issue rates in ways i've yet to fully determine. At this point the intention is just as a static analysis tool but i'll see where the wind takes me.

I don't have a release package yet, I want to fix a few things and pretty up the output a bit first.

This topic is for any expressions of interest and discussion.

Update: I have now published a version here:
http://www.users.on.net/~notzed/software/ezetool.html

It's not complete but it might be useful or just interesting.
Last edited by notzed on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
notzed

Re: epu timing tool

Postby aolofsson » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:46 am

Very cool! This was another one of those projects that we always wanted to do..but somehow never got around to. Amazing to see you get something working in an afternoon! Let me know if there is anything I can help out with in terms of pipeline description so that you don't have to do too much reverse engineering.

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby timpart » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:16 pm

One thing I've never been clear on is, as the core is doing a sequence of instructions when does the start of the pipeline fetch a new double word of instructions from memory? Since an instruction can span a double word boundary presumably it must fetch a fresh double word in good time. Presumably this is connected with the enigmatic "". (Does B stand for buffer?) I'm curious as to how easy it is to avoid a clash if you want to do a load into a register from the same bank of memory.

Does the timing of when a double word fetch is started depend on whether its address is on or off core?

Presumably Dual Issuing is still possible if the other instruction is on the following double word?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
timpart

Postby aolofsson » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Tim,

The IAB is something I don't want to document too much, because it is likely to change (for the better) in future versions of the chip, but here are a few more details:

-The IAB works like a FIFO with a prefetch circuit that continuously brings in 64 bits from the memory whenever it can.

-Instructions get pulled out of the FIFO by the dual issue scheduling logic.

-Detecting FIFO full by the prefetch engine was a little tricky, considering that the "pull rate" depends on the instructions being single issue, double issue, 16/32.

-The IAB gets "flushed" on branches.

Notes:
-Align critical code sections on double word boundaries. (loop starts for example)
-Using 16 bit instructions help, since it's possible the IAB can fetch 4 instructions per clock cycle
-It is possible to load a word from same bank as instruction without suffering a penalty (but it depends on scenario)

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby shodruk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:48 am

spu_timing! I used to love it. :D
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby timpart » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:08 pm

timpart

Postby notzed » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:11 pm

notzed

Postby aolofsson » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:57 pm

notzed,

Good catch!! I had forgotten about that "optimization". This was one of the critical path so I took some liberties, load stores work on register pairs.

For good measure, here is the complete decode logic :D Dual issue happens only if none of these conditions are true:
--RAW CODE

//load-->load
assign iab_waw_00_de = iab_op0_wr_rd0_write_de &
iab_op1_wr_rd0_write_de &
(iab_op0_wr_rd0_addr_de[RFAW-1:1]==iab_op1_wr_rd0_addr_de[RFAW-1:1]);

//load-->ialu/fpu
assign iab_waw_01_de = iab_op0_wr_rd0_write_de &
iab_op1_wr_rd1_write_de &
(iab_op0_wr_rd0_addr_de[RFAW-1:1]==iab_op1_wr_rd1_addr_de[RFAW-1:1]);

//ialu/fpu-->load
assign iab_waw_10_de = iab_op0_wr_rd1_write_de &
iab_op1_wr_rd0_write_de &