Learning Assembly

Learning Assembly

Postby Danko » Mon May 11, 2015 8:03 am

Hello.

I am pretty new to low-level programming though I understand some basic principles.

Can anyone suggest good literature on Assembly for beginners (books, courses, tutorials etc.) which is relevant to eCore architecture?

I would like to write basic programs - "hello world", factorial, fibonacci.

My biggest aim for now is to write some simple interactive assembly interpreter that will run on 1 eCore and communicate with host.

Thanks.
Danko

Re: Learning Assembly

Postby piotr5 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:31 am

imho the best way to learn assembly is to compile a c-program and run it in a debugger -- preferably a visual one which displays assembly. the basics are: a processor has some set of commands, some amount of registers which serve as temporary variables and a set of true-false-flags which change everytime you execute a command and which can be used for branching. additionally the assembler provides , a strange syntax for saying that you want a pointer to an address instead of a literal number. unfortunately I know of no visual debugger compatible with epiphany since eclipse is defunct, so you'd better learn to use gdb commandline directly...
piotr5

Re: Learning Assembly

Postby ysapir » Mon May 11, 2015 9:51 pm

I imagine you could use Eclipse with the instruction simulator (e-run) instead of the hardware debug mode.
ysapir

Return to Assembly