[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Image built by myself can't boot

Image built by myself can't boot

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Image built by myself can't boot

Postby lanscene » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:23 pm

I have a parallella board with HDMI, I boot the board with pre-built image successfully.
I build the linux image in both native-platform(arm) and cross-platform(amd64),
I use serial console to watch the boot procedure, after u-boot load the image, the console is frozen,
and no output from HDMI.

following image compiled in native-platform
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 03000000 ...
Image Name: Linux-3.14.12-parallella
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 4910072 Bytes = 4.7 MiB
Load Address: 00008000
Entry Point: 00008000
Verifying Checksum ... OK
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 02a00000
Booting using the fdt blob at 0x02a00000
Loading Kernel Image ... OK
OK
Loading Device Tree to 1fffa000, end 1ffff19e ... OK

and this is compiled in cross-platform
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 03000000 ...
Image Name: Linux-3.14.12-parallella-xilinx-
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 3350744 Bytes = 3.2 MiB
Load Address: 00008000
Entry Point: 00008000
Verifying Checksum ... OK
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 02a00000
Booting using the fdt blob at 0x02a00000
Loading Kernel Image ... OK
OK
Loading Device Tree to 1fffa000, end 1ffff19e ... OK

I use the default config, but the image size is very different, 3.2MB vs 4.7MB, why?
and which repo can work with HDMI?
lanscene

Re: Image built by myself can't boot

Postby Feik » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:17 pm

I haven't tried cross compile, but here is the post I made about .
Perhaps you are missing a step? I found that not build/install of the modules is what broke it for me.
So I made all the modules compile into the kernel.
Otherwise maybe you haven't updated the DeviceTree?
Feik

Postby lanscene » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks for your reply, Feik.
I have checked .config, almost everything is marked with Y(build to kernel), especially options for HDMI and ADI7511(the HDMI transceiver chipset).
And i use the default soc(FPGA) design, so i use the prebuilt devicetree.dtb file.
Indeed, I have tested some other dts files, for example, zynq-parallella.dts, if boot with uImage which built by myself, no any output from HDMI, and if boot with the prebuilt uImage, the HMDI can display the splash screen (the penguins) then halted.
Maybe I need export the dts file from the SOC design?
lanscene

Postby terminal3 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:40 am

Currently the image pulled from the repo does not have working HDMI, no word on when this will be fixed.
terminal3

Postby grzeskob » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:02 am

grzeskob

Postby TheKr1S » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Just for the record....

I just recently compiled the kernel after cloning it from git.

I followed the steps described here:
https://github.com/parallella/parallella-bin
in the readme.md

After following these step resulted in a hanging boot, don' exactly know where. But the problem appeared to be in the device tree. I think the default headless device tree has no support for serial console, while the build compiler is configured to hav some. I solved it by building another device tree than described. I copied the steps I followed from the link above. The differences I marked bold

How to compile the ADI based linux kernel? (uImage)
git clone https://github.com/parallella/parallella-linux
cd parallella-linux bash
export ARCH=arm
export CROSS_COMPILE= #eg arm-xilinx-linux-gnuabi-
export PATH=:$PATH
make ARCH=arm parallella_defconfig
make ARCH=arm LOADADDR=0x8000 uImage
#####################################################################

How to compile the device tree? (devicetree.dtb)
scripts/dtc/dtc -I dts -O dtb -o arch/arm/boot/zynq-parallella1-headless.dtb arch/arm/boot/dts/zynq-parallella1-headless.dts

Try this first, when it works, take the step to hdmi

Hope it helps someone
TheKr1S

Postby lanscene » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:28 am

The sourcecode has been updated now, I have compile the kernel source, and it works well with HDMI output.
lanscene

Return to Linux/U-Boot