[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - unresponsive board

unresponsive board

Hardware related problems and workarounds

unresponsive board

Postby egentalen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:45 am

Hi,

I received my board yesterday, and after setting up the SD card per instructions and connecting a 2A power supply, all that happens is one green LED blinks about every 1.5 seconds. the reset button has no effect on this at all. I'm quite sure the SD card is set up right and the power supply is definitely right. Those were the only suggestions I could find on the forums. Anything else I should try, or is the board dead and in need of replacement?

Thanks
Egentalen
egentalen

Re: unresponsive board

Postby 9600 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:14 am

You could try to see if there are any clues being output there. I'd also try a second SD card just to be sure you haven't got a defective one.

Have you affixed the heatsink to the Zynq chip? Could also be worth pointing a fan at the board, although I'm not sure it would overheat that fast if cooling were a problem.

If the power supply you are using is not the one supplied, I'd also check that the barrel connector is of both the correct inside and outside diameter, since if it is not the supply may be intermittent.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby shodruk » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:24 am

Also, try booting without any USB peripherals and HDMI.
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby aolofsson » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:47 am

Please note that when you power USB periphetals , current draw gets up to 1.35A. We found that 3 of 4 different supplies rated at 2A bought on eBay and Amazon failed to create clean levels. As shodruk suggested, can you check without any cables connected to see if the light stays on.

This may not be the issue in your case but the symptom of a blinking led light would suggest that the power levels are not correct.
aolofsson

Postby egentalen » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:02 am

I did try booting without the usb peripherals, and booting off a different SD card. It still looks the same - blinking every 1.5 seconds. It also looks that way whether or not the SD card is in, for what that's worth.

The power supply was labelled as "5.5mm/2.1mm". I just measured it and it is right. It is a pretty tight fit, so that would seem to be ok.

Not sure what else to try...
egentalen

Postby gceline » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:03 pm

Everytime I have seen a blinking LED it has been the PSU that has been the problem. Please try another 5VDC minimum 2A PSU with 2.1mm x 5.5mm and the polarity should be center positive.
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby aolofsson » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 pm

for reference, here is the experience of janos who got his board to work after some initial power issues.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=987

It again shows that many 2A supplies may be ill suited for the Parallella.

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby Janos » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:51 pm

The use of a serial console cable was of massive help. Without it I would never have been up and running.
Janos of The Scottish BOINC Team
Janos

Postby leon_heller » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:47 am

FWIW, I got my board yesterday, and have just tried it with a Stontronics 5V/2.5A PS, with nothing attached and no SD card (I'm just going out to buy one). The LED stays on all the time, no blinking.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
leon_heller

Postby egentalen » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:07 am

So, getting a new power supply (2.5A fwiw) changed things. The LED now comes on solid and stays on, and the board now warms up pretty fast (never got warm before). so far so good.

but, it doesn't boot, and the serial port is totally silent. I've set the parameters according to http://elinux.org/Parallella_UART_Connection

tried switching the Rx and Tx connections back and forth, but still silent. I can move the same wires over to a raspberry pi and watch it boot, so I think I have everything set up right.

Thanks for your help.
Erik
egentalen

Next

Return to Troubleshooting