[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Troubleshooting the Parallella at Startup

Troubleshooting the Parallella at Startup

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Re: Troubleshooting the Parallella at Startup

Postby nickoppen » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:54 am

Hi,

I recently acquired an original Kickstarter cluster kit. It was unused so I've downloaded the current image (ubuntu-14.04-hdmi-z7020-20140611.img.gz) from the "create an SD card page" but no joy on booting.

The boot messages via the serial port reports that fpga failed to load in time which would explain why it's not working.

Is there an md5 checksum or some other way of verifing that the file I downloaded is correct?

nick
Sharing is what makes the internet Great!
nickoppen

Postby nickoppen » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:38 am

nickoppen

Postby nickoppen » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:07 am

nickoppen

Postby aolofsson » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:20 pm

If it's intermittent, it might point to a power supply issue. What power supply are you using?
Also, can try the headless image to see if it behaves the same way.
Andreas
aolofsson

Postby nickoppen » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi Andreas,

It's not intermittent. None of the boards have ever worked for me. The thing that is intermittent is the error message regarding the fpga load but even when I get no error message I don't see anything happening on the hdmi or on the network.

I'm using the power supply supplied with the Kickstarter kit. I've got a few others that should work so I'll give them a try.

And I'll give the headless image a go.

Thanks,

nick
nickoppen

Postby nickoppen » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:53 am

Good news,

All boards work with the headless image. Also, the power supply that I used before (one that came with the boards) also works.

While that will let me get into business with the new boards, it does leave me wondering what to do next if I want to use the HDMI port.

nick
nickoppen

Postby aolofsson » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:23 am

I actually ran into a similar issue this week. For me it turned out to be "dd" not working. Note that dd will never tell you if the write worked and sometimes I am too lazy to verify that image was written. To be safe, if you have an old card with multiple partitions already you might want to blow those away and reformat with gparted.
aolofsson

Postby nickoppen » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:54 am

Thanks Andreas,

OK. I'm going to look for something going wrong with the writing process.

By "verify" do you mean some checking program or just eye-balling the SD card in the file manager? I've done the latter, I've even rummaged through the file system after it was mounted on my ancient Ubuntu laptop. I also used gparted to expand the file system partition. That all seemed normal.

nick
nickoppen

Postby nickoppen » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:16 am

Hi Andreas,

The writing process is fine. My earlier test with the headless version was with my SD card from my micro-server. I used that because I knew it worked but it is the 7010 version of the image. I downloaded the 7020 headless version and that worked - so there is no problem with the SD card reader or the ancient lappy that I'm using.

The other things that was common to all of the failed hdmi tests was the monitor and the hdmi cable. I hooked up a board with the Kickstarter hdmi version still installed on our main TV and that didn't work. Unfortunately, I don't have any other micro-hdmi devices other than these parallellas do I couldn't verify the cable. However, my original Kickstarter board worked with that cable.

All I can say is that I'm going to stick with the headless version until the next hdmi version appears for the Kickstarter board and then check again.

nick
nickoppen

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting