[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Wireless Keyboard/mouse combo -> 2 penguins.

Wireless Keyboard/mouse combo -> 2 penguins.

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Wireless Keyboard/mouse combo -> 2 penguins.

Postby mgt6910 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:31 pm

After running the system with a usb keyboard plus usb mouse, I tried a wireless combo (A4tech G6saver mini wireless desktop). The keyboard seemed to be handled OK, but when I moved the mouse, the system hung. A reboot with the wireless combo stopped on the two penguins. A reboot with the separate KB/mouse, same result. I reflashed the SD-card, same 2 penguins. By this time, I started to suspect that I had screwed the hardware. After 4 more reboots (that is 8 more penguins!) the system finally started. The system is now usable, with 1 in 4 boots stopping on the 2 penguins. I'm staying away from the wireless combo, and awaiting with interest any suggestions about improving the reliability of the boot process.
mgt6910

Re: Wireless Keyboard/mouse combo -> 2 penguins.

Postby nickoppen » Sat May 17, 2014 11:08 am

I had trouble with the logitech unifying device (the dongle with the little star) running on the usb port next to the HDMI port. It booted twice in about 40 attempts. I did manage to get vncserver installed on the second attempt ($sudo apt-get install tightvncserver) and since then I've been running headless.

I've just gotten my usb hub running (I hope reliably) and I'll try again using the keyboard and mouse from there.
Sharing is what makes the internet Great!
nickoppen

Postby nickoppen » Tue May 20, 2014 9:22 am

I tried my usb hub with the logitech unifying wireless mouse and keyboard. It worked first time. I didn't leave it on for very long so I can't vouch for stability.

I think that the trick is to get your usb stable and then try additional devices. My boot sequence with usb is: power the hub; insert the hub into the usb slot beside the HDMI port (which will power the Parallella and start the boot sequence); insert in the 5V power plug to provide full power straight away. This has worked every time for me.
nickoppen

Postby shodruk » Tue May 20, 2014 11:59 am

Hi Nick,
Have you already tried these tips?

http://elinux.org/Parallella_Speed_Up_Ubuntu

Comparison video: http://youtu.be/TsjjIpjYM3U

It improves desktop performance and fixes some USB issues.

Note: Apply all the tips at once.
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby nickoppen » Wed May 21, 2014 7:10 am

Hi Shodruky,

Yes, I've done all of those now.

I'm running headless most of the time so I have not had the opportunity to test out the HDMI sound yet (the kids don't like being booted off the XBox) but vlc does not complain about the lack of a sound system so that's good for now.

I got your mandelbrot program working and on a 42" TV screen it is awesome. My six-year-old's comment was, "Whoa!".

On the usb front, the next thing I'll do is figure out how to mount a memory stick as a usable storage device. I don't expect any problems here. The usb-devices command can see both the hub and stick so it's really just my lack of Linux knowledge that is making progress slow.

Thanks for all of your posts here and elsewhere. They have been really helpful.

nick
nickoppen

Postby shodruk » Wed May 21, 2014 9:02 am

Shodruky
shodruk

Mounting a USB memory stick

Postby nickoppen » Wed May 21, 2014 10:45 am

Thank you again, Shodruky.

That worked a treat.

nick
nickoppen

Postby leon_heller » Wed May 21, 2014 2:29 pm

When my USB was working, I found that a Logitech mk330 wireless mouse and keyboard worked very well.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
leon_heller

Return to Troubleshooting