[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Connected 12 volt instead of 5 volt

Connected 12 volt instead of 5 volt

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Connected 12 volt instead of 5 volt

Postby EN8lvVPyrXVsNved3pcP » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:13 pm

My board was working perfectly and I was going to continue doing some experiments when I accidentally plugged in 12 volts instead of 5 volts to the power supply plug. Needless to say nothing works now except the fan keeps starting and stopping. There was no magic smoke released so its not obvious that any particular device might have blown. Is their any chance that I might be able to revive the board or is it a lost cause ? Any suggestion for trouble shooting would be appreciated. If their is no chance would it be possible to get an early order for a new board ? I waited almost 12 months for this one and I am so disappointed that I did this. I always double and triple check these things but don't you know it would happen to a difficult to replace piece of equipment :( :(
EN8lvVPyrXVsNved3pcP

Re: Connected 12 volt instead of 5 volt

Postby Hrun » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:58 am

Wow... The same happened to me, at around the same time as you posted this!

I cried so hard! :cry: (Then I proceeded to drink my secret stash of wine... Not sure what happened next.)

The board got really warm, but no smoke either. 1 of the LEDs (a green one) still works fine when I apply 5V now, but it doesn't register itself on the network.
Hrun

Postby sidda2020 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:43 am

Murphys' law worked here.. "if something can go wrong, it will"...
Its gone case man.. plan for another Parallella..I could spare one.. I stay in bangalore..
sidda2020

Postby tnt » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:49 am

Well there is a couple of things that are definitely obliterated. Both USB PHYs and the HDMI PHYs are definitely destroyed. You might try to unsolder those, they might be preventing the rest from working. The TURBO_MODE buffer is also probably a goner.

the PMICs are also not rated for 12V operation, but they might just have survived, you can check the power rails. Also checking the board with a thermal camera might reveal what survived.
tnt

Postby EN8lvVPyrXVsNved3pcP » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks I will try and trouble shoot to see where the power stops. HRUN yes I definitely cried also. None of my LED's come on anymore but the Fan and the Unpowered USB hub keep cycling on and and off. sidda2020 I would be interested in buying one if you have an extra spare. There is no telling when new ones might be available. :) :) :)
EN8lvVPyrXVsNved3pcP

Postby EN8lvVPyrXVsNved3pcP » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Whooo !!!! So far have not been able to resurrect the board.. :oops: But the good new is I managed to get another ordered today so I will be even MORE careful in the future !!!!!! :mrgreen:
EN8lvVPyrXVsNved3pcP

Postby Hrun » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Hrun

Postby aolofsson » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Well done!! And thanks for helping to verify what component actually breaks when you plug in a 12V supply! :D
aolofsson

Postby stoile » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:02 pm

The same happened to me, too.

When I now connect my Parallela to 5V, the fan is working, the LED is green (not blinking) and the LEDs of the ethernet port are green and orange. I have the parallela from the Kickstarter Campaign. Any hints how I could check what got damaged and how to repair it?
stoile

Postby 9600 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:27 pm

I'm sorry to hear that :(

I'd start by checking out the different voltage rails and, given the experiences of the previous poster, I'd probably pay close attention to the ISL9307 voltage regulator. The .

Good luck!

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Return to Troubleshooting