Are you unable to get USB working?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes : 24

Re: Poll: USB not working

Postby Morgaine » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:01 pm

aolofsson wrote:Most people don't have serial cables so it makes more sense to output kernel messages to screen.

It's not an either-or situation, or shouldn't be. People commonly use HDMI for application-level work but plug in a serial adapter for low-level information when things go wrong. This is entirely normal in the SBC community, and it simplifies online support a lot because serial output is so simple to capture and paste.

Investing in a far-from-turnkey parallel processing board like Parallella without spending a tiny amount extra on a serial cable makes little sense, and it wastes this very helpful output. Diagnostic output can be sent over a UART long before the HDMI is anywhere near ready, and serial output would provide good information about EDID detection or failure to read it, video mode selection, and so on. HDMI problems do happen to some people as noted here on the forum, and they are currently trying to solve them blind without serial console.

Folks who want to use a serial cable can always enable it by modifying device tree and using dtc to create a dtb file.

Why do you make it either-or? You should be able to debug your HDMI-headed system over a serial cable without any kind of system modifications at all. That's the whole idea of having a UART on an otherwise graphic system. Just plug in your serial lead for additional output with no prior planning required, and certainly no system changes.

Serial console should NEVER BE UNAVAILABLE to the user under normal circumstances, because it's a safety net for when other modes of interaction fail. If people don't want to use it as their primary mode of interaction, that's perfectly fine, but the choice of HDMI should never stop them from attaching their serial lead to find out what's going on without having to reconfigure their system first --- that completely negates non-intrusive serial debugging while using HDMI.

Making bootup output either-or complicates users' lives and makes support more problematic because you can't rely on a standard diagnostic channel. I strongly urge you to aim for a standard configuration in which serial console is always enabled even for those using an HDMI display. Bootup diagnostics should always go to serial and only be replicated on HDMI if users want a noisy graphic interface.

Lastly, let me point out that Fred merely *bypassed* the PPPP problem, but didn't fix the bug that causes it. Serial output is certainly not the bug!!! I suggest that the actual cause be identified and fixed, instead of unhelpfully disabling an extremely important facility like serial console just to bypass the bug.

Morgaine.
Last edited by Morgaine on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:57 am, edited 9 times in total.
Morgaine

Postby ajtravis » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:55 pm

shodruk wrote:[...]
"Are you able to get USB working?"

Hi, shodruk.

These results illustrate why it's difficult for me to give a yes/no answer:
[Nodes setup as http://forums.parallella.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1483#p10156]
ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver on USB OTG cable (no hub).
Code: Select all
Successful USB PHY initialisations on a 4-node SKU101020 Parallella cluster
USB not working on any node after power on.
0 = USB not initialised, 1 = USB initialised

reboot -f # without HDMI cable               
run   node1   node2   node3   node4   
1   0   0   0   0   
2   0   0   0   0   
3   0   0   0   0   
4   0   0   0   0   
5   1   0   0   0   
6   1   0   0   0   
7   1   0   0   0   
8   0   0   0   0   
9   1   0   0   0   
10   0   0   0   0   

total   4   0   0   0   10%

reboot -f # with HDMI cable               
1   1   0   0   0   
2   1   0   0   0   
3   0   0   0   0   
4   0   0   0   0   
5   1   0   0   0   
6   1   0   0   0   
7   1   0   0   0   
8   1   0   0   0   
9   1   0   0   0   
10   0   0   0   0   

total   7   0   0   0   18%

sync;sync # reset               
1   0   0   0   0   
2   0   1   0   0   
3   0   0   0   0   
4   0   0   0   0   
5   0   1   1   0   
6   0   1   0   0   
7   0   1   0   0   
8   0   0   0   0   
9   0   1   1   0   
10   0   0   1   0   

total   0   5   3   0   20%

sync;sync # power off/on (15s)               
1   0   0   0   1   
2   1   0   0   1   
3   0   0   0   1   
4   0   0   1   1   
5   0   0   0   0   
6   0   0   1   0   
7   0   0   0   0   
8   1   0   0   1   
9   1   0   0   1   
10   0   0   0   1   

total   3   0   2   7   30%

Bye,

Tony.
Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby shodruk » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:31 pm

ajtravis wrote:Hi, shodruk.

Don't use J7 (the USB port next to the Ethernet) at all. (Don't use Maplin 8.4A USB Charging Station for powering)
You should use high quality 5V 2A (I think 3A is the best) PSUs for each Parallella board.
Use the default configuration of the current "HDMI" kernel, bitstream, rootfs. (Don't use headless one)
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby ajtravis » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:05 pm

shodruk wrote:
ajtravis wrote:Hi, shodruk.

Don't use J7 (the USB port next to the Ethernet) at all. (Don't use Maplin 8.4A USB Charging Station for powering)
You should use high quality 5V 2A (I think 3A is the best) PSUs for each Parallella board.

Hi, shrodruk.

I've used the PSU's that were supplied by Adapteva and the Maplin one: There is no difference in reliability of USB initialisation using either type of PSU as far as I can tell - What PSU's are you using?
Use the default configuration of the current "HDMI" kernel, bitstream, rootfs. (Don't use headless one)

I started off using the default configuration, but I encountered USB problems. I've been trying these other configurations to see if I can get to the bottom of the USB problem on my boards. Most recently, by compiling the latest Parallella kernel on GitHub.
[BTW, the kernel and rootfs are the same for both default HDMI and headless - Just the other /BOOT files are different]

See: http://www.parallella.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1650&p=10202&sid=ca962fb46b96ad8dc376ce345384a10e&sid=ca962fb46b96ad8dc376ce345384a10e#p10204

Thanks for your help/advice anyway,

Tony.
ajtravis

Postby rcwParallella » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:46 pm

Using RS supplied PSU with RS supplied board bought 21 Oct 14. No USB (ie lsusb finds usb not initialised) with various hubs and cables. Then suddenly after 24 hours of playing it works! Mouse, kbd, SSD USB disk all running fine with an old powered hub and a brand new Maplin micro-USB to USB-A cable. Was going to try the reset button while powered next but its tricky with the big heat sink fitted. I should have drilled a hole thru it before fitting.

Checked micro USB joints on the board with a USB scope and they looked fine.

Fingers crossed for the power-up tomorrow. And the next day ;)
rcwParallella

Postby lanscene » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:09 am

My usb port doesn't work, too.
I use Digilent official PSU which comes with ZYBO, 2.5A 5V, so, I think it's not the matter about PSU.
And I have tried several OTG cable, USB hub, KB & mouse, etc.
Only 2-3 times I can use the mouse and KB, the successful rate is less than 1% I think.
It's weird that even when KB doesn't work, I can use lsusb to list the USB devices, which including the KB, the kernel can recognize the USB KB. But it doesn't work.
lanscene

Postby ajtravis » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:00 am

lanscene wrote:My usb port doesn't work, too.
I use Digilent official PSU which comes with ZYBO, 2.5A 5V, so, I think it's not the matter about PSU.
And I have tried several OTG cable, USB hub, KB & mouse, etc.
Only 2-3 times I can use the mouse and KB, the successful rate is less than 1% I think.
It's weird that even when KB doesn't work, I can use lsusb to list the USB devices, which including the KB, the kernel can recognize the USB KB. But it doesn't work.

rcwParallella wrote:Using RS supplied PSU with RS supplied board bought 21 Oct 14. No USB (ie lsusb finds usb not initialised) with various hubs and cables. Then suddenly after 24 hours of playing it works! Mouse, kbd, SSD USB disk all running fine with an old powered hub and a brand new Maplin micro-USB to USB-A cable. Was going to try the reset button while powered next but its tricky with the big heat sink fitted. I should have drilled a hole thru it before fitting.

Checked micro USB joints on the board with a USB scope and they looked fine.

Fingers crossed for the power-up tomorrow. And the next day ;)

Hi,

Please report the problem as Andreas asked, so we can get an objective view of the continuing USB problem: http://forums.parallella.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1650&start=80&sid=691c335bca1ccfd2366b887cab4aebc0&sid=691c335bca1ccfd2366b887cab4aebc0#p10185.

Thanks,

Tony.
ajtravis

Postby marcofranchimoretti » Mon May 14, 2018 1:21 am

Welcome to all, I want to add another testimony. Buy Parallels Desktop P1601 with the USB problem. I try to use most of the USB "trick". USB HUB, Hamlet, TUCANO, Mcally, Xtreme. With the power supply or anything. Negative. Use the Power in the USB power supply 2.4 a Max, or a specific power connector. last used very long cable without resulting. I hope someone have good idea. Thanks you for all.
marcofranchimoretti

Postby ajtravis » Mon May 14, 2018 10:40 am

The question here is confusing: Are you UNable to get USB working Yes/No, where No means USB works
It would be clearer to ask: Are you able to get USB working Yes/No, where No means USB doesn't work

The Achilles heel of Parallella, and a significant reason for its lack of popularity in comparison to the Raspberry Pi, is the USB not working properly.

I don't have the technical ability, or diagnostic kit to work out why, but Parallella would be a LOT more popular if the USB PHY would initialise reliably.

Is anyone who can and has the kit interested to find out why?

Thanks,

Tony.
ajtravis

Postby marcofranchimoretti » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:09 pm

Welcome, USB does not work. I'm investigating, and I run tests. I think the problem is hardware question. I will other testing and post all with photo, i think this help all.
Happy Working.
marcofranchimoretti

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting