[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Cannot copy kernel to micro-sd card

Cannot copy kernel to micro-sd card

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Cannot copy kernel to micro-sd card

Postby Lou_Reed » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:49 am

Lou_Reed

Re: Cannot copy kernel to micro-sd card

Postby Megamax667 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:21 am

Hello Lou_Reed,

I don't mean to be presumptuous about the work done in command line prior to what you have pasted here, however, you did make sure to copy the sd card image to the sd card before trying to add the kernel correct? The reason I ask is because only one partition for the sd card shows up when you execute the fdisk -l command when I believe there should be two. As well, because if this was done the BOOT directory should already be on the sd card. If you did then I'm sorry I'm not an expert with Linux so I can't say what else might be the cause. Best of luck!

Sincerely,

-Max
Megamax667

Postby Lou_Reed » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:28 am

I do not understand your point entirely, however, I think that it might be relevant.

I did copy the Ubuntu image to the micro-sd card and according to the output on its completion it was
successful.

I am not sure about the partition being shown. I was having trouble doing it in Ubuntu Linux so for that I used Windows Win32 disk imager. It took about 25 minutes and on completion it said that it was successful.

Then I completed the micro-sd card creation using Ubuntu 14.10 on a live DVD. As I said it all seemed to work, but not until I used the path shown.

/media/$USER/BOOT/

not the path originally given to me by using the fdisk and grep command.

/dev/sdb/BOOT/

If something is wrong here please tell me, point it out as I am stuck on getting this micro-sd card created correctly.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed
Lou_Reed

Postby Megamax667 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:22 am

Hello again,
I do apologize. You did put the image on the sd card. That being said if you just plug the sd card back into the machine while on windows then when the sd card is recognized you should be able to extract the files and copy them into the root directory. Unfortunately, that is the last of my advice. I'm wondering why you "burned" the sd card on windows and decided to copy the files on linux, but no matter. :) Again best of luck! If all this fails I hate to say it, but in my case I would just start from scratch and go through the windows instructions that are on and just follow all the way through with those. I find windows to be the easiest platform to make my sd cards for my parallella.

Regards,

-Max
Megamax667

Postby 9600 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:37 am

Andrew Back

Postby Lou_Reed » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:35 pm

I used Linux all the time at work and much prefer working with it. However, my home Linux machine suffered a hard disk crash and is not available.

So I used my wife laptop with Ubuntu LiveDVD. If you are married then you know that at most you can use a Linux LiveDVD on your wife's laptop. My wife likes Windows 7.

But LiveDVD Ubuntu Linux has memory limitations of 2 gigabytes for file downloading and handling, anymore than that and it simply refuses to download that file.

I thus cannot use Ubuntu Linux to burn the Ubuntu image onto my micro-sd card, since it will refuse to handle a file larger than 2 gigabytes, so at that point I am forced to go to Windows 7 but only to do this one task : burning the image on the micro-sd card.

I really do not like using Windows 7 anyway shape or form, but I am forced to for this initial task.

So that is why my task is a hybrid. It worked before. I had the parallella up and running for few days then when I shutdown : first shutting down Linux then removing the power connector on my card.

Then when I rebooted it crashed. I am forced to rebuild a corrupted micro-sd card. The card was replaced with a new 32 gigabyte card at Best Buy.

That is where I am and for some reason repeating what I did earlier this month does not work.

I am still trying.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed
Lou_Reed

Postby 9600 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Andrew Back

Postby ajtravis » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:36 am

Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby notzed » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:56 am

This thread seems to have got confusing ... but back to your first post, you can't untar to a device (anything in /dev is a device). You need to mount it first. But if this is a new card you also need to setup the partitions properly for uboot to work - this is easiest done by just writing one of the pre-prepared images although they wont use up the whole card and it takes fricken forever. You should be able to do that with microsoft windows using some third party tool though (i presume).

Once that's done then it should properly mount under ubuntu as /media/user/BOOT as expected.
notzed

Postby ajtravis » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Next

Return to Troubleshooting