Board booted once and won't boot again

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Board booted once and won't boot again

Postby MattBBaker » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:29 am

After seeing some cool work done with the parallella board at the OpenSHMEM conference I got one of the parallella boards. I got it to boot once, but it hasn't booted again after that. The power LED is on and the ethernet LED is on, but I can't find it on my network. I tried hooking up the HDMI port but the monitor isn't getting any signal out of it. I'm at a loss on what to do from here. Anyone have any idea what I can do?
MattBBaker

Re: Board booted once and won't boot again

Postby jar » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:26 pm

There's a chance you have a bad board, but I would exhaust other possibilities. The new 2016.3 image and 2015.1 image don't have HDMI support, AFAIK. Depending on how your router assigns IPs, you may have to ping sweep a range to ID the board. You may also want to reinstall the image. I once brought up a board with a new image and then unplugged it before logging in and changing the password, etc. I wasn't able to use it until I reinstalled the image.

Also, I wrote the OpenSHMEM implementation. You can also email me (address in the paper) if you'd like to discuss. Because I also provide feedback to COPRTHR-2, I'm still on the 2015.1 image until DAR updates (maybe sometime before 2017). The OpenSHMEM implementation doesn't require the COPRTHR SDK, but it makes my life easier.

My organization is retarded when it comes to software publications. I really want to release the code. Once it happens, there will be a ton of micro-benchmarks/example codes and a few applications for Parallella.
jar

Postby aolofsson » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:42 pm

For anyone struggling with the board I really recommend picking up a serial cable feom adafruit and using putty application to connect. $8 will save you a ton of debugging grief. Not saying it cant be the board but 9/10 times it has been the setup...

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby MattBBaker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:55 am

Jar:
Did you present at OpenSHMEM 2016? If so, I was the one asking about shmem_quiet().

aolofsson:
Will this work? https://www.adafruit.com/products/954
I've never worked with boards like this before.
MattBBaker

Postby aolofsson » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:26 pm

Yes that's it!
aolofsson

Postby jar » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Matt,

Yes, that was me. And I remember you.
jar

Postby MattBBaker » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:22 pm

Fun fact, it turns out that the Windows 10 driver for the adafruit USB to serial adapter will actually physically destroy it. As in, it's melted. With that out of the day, getting another of those cables and not letting it anywhere near the Windows box, it seem like its not even trying to boot. I console into it using screen on my linux computer and I just get a blinking _. I borrowed a friend's rasbperry pi and I can console into that fine, so I know my software and the new cable are good, but the board just isn't responding.
MattBBaker

Return to Troubleshooting