[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Progress report on Epiphany-V?

Progress report on Epiphany-V?

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

Progress report on Epiphany-V?

Postby Clark » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:04 pm

It has been 4 months since the Epiphany-V was announced. It seems like the chips should be popping out of the wafer fab about now, and going to packaging. Any progress to report?
Clark

Re: Progress report on Epiphany-V?

Postby peteasa » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:22 am

Have you read the latest presentation from Andreas - https://www.parallella.org/2017/01/26/w ... m-scratch/ - includes status information - Dies are back, silicon bringup starting March 2017
peteasa

Postby svartalf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:20 pm

This is great. I've been so snarled up in things I never got around to making my board I bought as a pre-order go. Was about to actually start putzing with it. (Yeah, yeah. You try dealing with a series serious setbacks in your life...)

Heard mixed stories about the Epiphany III- some good, some not so much so. Something about performance from core-to-core not being as good as it should be. I'm suspecting that it's not "bad" but someone tried things that were best saved for the Epiphany-V design.

Now, the biggest question here is how much are they going to be charging for boards with that beast on them?

I'm suspecting a sweet spot is $400-800 for this one. Thing is...the magic number for getting people interested is $100-ish. I can hope he'd lean that price down to $400-ish for this one. It'd probably sell, especially if you could do silly stupid things like real-time raytracing and the like with it. Too much and there'll only be hardware junkies like myself even possibly interested- so we can hope.
svartalf

Postby sebraa » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:26 pm

sebraa

Postby nickoppen » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:47 am

Don't forget that a Parallella board with the E-V has not been announced yet. The development of the E-V was a DARPA funded project and that's where it might end.

Andreas has on many occasions expressed a distinct lack of enthusiasm for developing products "just because they would be cool".

I agree with sebraa. The Parallella with the E-III is the real product now. With the E-V have the same instruction set, it is very likely (keeping in mind that the E-V is 64-bit) that whatever you do now will not be lost moving to an E-V based version of the Parallella.
Sharing is what makes the internet Great!
nickoppen

Postby dobkeratops » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:10 pm

i really hope an epiphany 5 based board appears, it should be a great device for ai/robotics.. the epiphany-4 seems eclipsed by other mass produced technologies but if you could use that as a devkit and just scale the algorithms up, great. I guess the volumes matter.. nvidia chips have a big market already.
dobkeratops

Return to General Discussion