Lisp

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

Lisp

Postby ubii » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:47 pm

What is the possibility of creating a Lisp subforum under Parallel Programming?
ubii

Re: Lisp

Postby admin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:43 am

Done! I am really interested (and intrigued) to find out how modern Lisp compares to other parallel approaches (OpenCL,OpenMP,MPI etc) and what kind of development projects are going on today with regards to Lisp and parallel programming. Any initial comments?
admin
Site Admin

Postby ubii » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:28 am

Thank you very much for setting up the Lisp subforum. Honestly, I only recently started getting back into Lisp, so I have not yet had an opportunity to thoroughly research this matter. My initial research will focus on Common Lisp (CL), but may expand to other lisp dialects, depending upon what I discover. Hopefully, there are other folks in the Parallella community who can provide further insight into this matter or who would be willing to help research this matter.
ubii

Postby censix » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:56 pm

For people wanting to get a feel for LISP, I suggest you use SBCL (Steel Bank Common Lisp) http://www.sbcl.org

Back in the days, when LISP was THE thing (80/90's ?), people used to complain about lisp not running efficiently on our standard von-neuman chip architectures. I used it at university then and have loved functional programming ever since, but never used it again until recently. maybe the parallella board could be programmed to be a kick-ass LISP machine, with all that MIMD it provides ?
censix

Return to General Discussion