[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - US-standard multiway power strips OUTSIDE US.

US-standard multiway power strips OUTSIDE US.

Sub forum for Parallella daughter cards and accessories

Moderator: Folknology

US-standard multiway power strips OUTSIDE US.

Postby xilman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:05 pm

Simple question for which multiple Google searches hasn't yet shown anything useful: what is a cost-effective way of getting a power strip with >= 4 US standard 2 flat-pin sockets if you live in an area using UK or EU mains connectors?

A 4-Parallela kit arrived recently, together with four 110-250V PSUs fitted with US flat-pin plugs. I've nothing at present which can drive all of them at once. The various options identified so far have varying disadvantages. Replacing the PSUs seems a waste and relatively expensive. Fitting four US-UK adapters between a UK 4-way strip and the PSUs is clumsy and also relatively expensive. The only supplier of universal-socket multistrips yet found is based in China and has a minimum order of 1200 units!

4-way strips over here cost about £2 ($3.50 or so), not that I'd need to buy yet another one.
I really don't mind having to snip off any kind of plug and then wire in a local one.

Any ideas?

Paul
xilman

Re: US-standard multiway power strips OUTSIDE US.

Postby over9000 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:39 pm

I think that they maybe can't be sold in the EU, or at least that's what I was told by one of the main vendors here. Either that, or there isn't enough demand for them to be stocked? I've tried the following suppliers, but none have them:
* Farnell
* RS
* Maplin
* Dabs
* Pollin.de (they have a "US" one, but that stands for extra-long or something like that in German--it doesn't have US pins/sockets!)

I also tried looking through Amazon and ebay, but I gave up because of the difficulty of wading through all the offerings. Unfortunately, that seems like it's the only option. One thing you don't want is to order one from the US. I don't think it's a good idea to plug a power strip that's rated for 110v into a ~220v supply. If what I was told was correct and you can't sell a strip with US-style sockets in the EU then I can see why they have that rule. Too much scope for problems with either supplying 220v to a 110v power strip, or people accidentally plugging 110v devices into a strip that actually delivers 220v (US plugs don't have fuses, iirc).

I'm a bit miffed with the situation. I was expecting to get a transformer with an EU or UK style plug, based on where my order was shipped to. I think that the product page even said that I would. Now I'm stuck with these stupid USA style pins and the only solution I can see is to use an adapter for each of my boards.
over9000

Postby Bikeman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:45 pm

I got a single parallella with accessory kit, bought an EU to US converter and only then discovered that the PSU didn't work at all, a problem shared by many customers of the accessory kit. Didn't bother to send it back, got a new one with EU plug.

So before investing in adapters, if possible make sure that all the PSUs are actually working (borrow an adapter or buy just one) because otherwise the question is mute :-).

Note that you can also drive a whole stack of parallellas mounted on top of each other with one (sufficiently strong) PSU via jumper configuration and supplying power via two of the mounting holes. Not that it is cheaper, but it avoids some extra cable clutter.

HBE
Bikeman

Postby gceline » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:56 pm

There are multiple specialty solutions out there, but a power strip that is multi-country is probably the most convenient ( I used #3 and #4 at a tradeshow in Germany)
1) http://www.quail.com/C-1153/Power-Cords ... AxADUAUAA=
2) http://www.quail.com/C-1236/Adapters-UN ... BOAFQATAA=
3) http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1& ... 7AodY04A-g
4) http://www.110220volts.com/SS-503.html? ... 7AodhDYAcw
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby ajtravis » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby Duski » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:34 am

Ajtravis: have you seen any problems mentioned at http://www.parallella.org/power-supply/ with your solution especially under heavy loads?

Can someone from parallella guys cofirm official spec of what is required to make usb power viable solution?

I haven't powered it up yet but is there a SW test i can run it that would put enough load to system so it can be used to filter bad power supplies?

Thanks.
Duski

Postby ajtravis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:41 am

Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Return to Daughter Cards & Accessories