[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Free Parallella Porcupine breakout boards!!

Free Parallella Porcupine breakout boards!!

Sub forum for Parallella daughter cards and accessories

Moderator: Folknology

Re: Free Parallella Porcupine breakout boards!!

Postby aolofsson » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Nice!!! Where do you go from here?
aolofsson

Postby AndyC » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:17 pm

AndyC

Postby muzafferkal » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi,
Are porcupine boards still available? I recently acquired an embedded parallella (with the 020, yay) and I'd like to make a bluetooth LE prototyping platform with it. I bought the BLE transceivers on Ebay and after I get the basic communication working, I intend to connect a windspeed measurement device too.
muzafferkal

Postby tschaboo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:41 am

My long term goal is to make parallela (+addon-board) an all-in-one reprap controller.

Step 1 would be to make the coordinate transformation for complex printer geometries (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af7XkgxzmXE ) in realtime on the Epiphany. Since a microcontroller can't handle that (at least not an Arduino) the current workaround is to use a G-Code preprocessor on the PC. This approach has many limitations. For the Epiphany that's peanuts, probably even one core of those sixteen is already enough. If not, this can be time-multiplexed to several cores. So for this step I want to put the parallela between the Arduino (outputting coordinates, if bandwidth allows that or stepper-pulses as a workaround) and the motor drivers. That needs a parallella breakout board of course.

That's in the near term. Further Ideas:

Step 2 would be to design an open source stepper driver that performs better than the "stepstick"s currently in use. Main motivation is noise reduction. Microchip Application Note 1307 is the blueprint, the implementation would have to be done in VHDL on the Zynq. I can't do this alone though, because I'm not competent to design the board with the ADCs and H-Bridge drivers necessary. The breakout board is necessary for that also.

Step 3: Eliminate the Arduino, porting current firmware to parallella. There are at least four ways to accomplish that: (a) port some firmware to ZPUino, (b) put an AVR core in the FPGA, (c) dedicate one Cortex-A9 core to the task, (d) use real-time-linux kernel.

Step 4: Eliminate the Raspberry Pi many are using for network connectivity. That's the simplest one: just install Octoprint on parallella.

Having all these things integrated, the parallella would actually be cost competitive. There would be a lot of headroom for the further evolution in reprap. For example, if the design and slicing toolchain would go from line- to spline-based formats, the Epiphany has enough power to process that in realtime.
tschaboo

Postby Len » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:31 pm

I have a number of projects that will require I/O. One is a data acquisition, database and display for a controlled environment chamber. It also would control the temperature, lights, and co2.

I can purchase the card if available or send it to:

Leonard Reinhart
515 Andrews Drive
Melbourne Beach, FL 32951
USA
Len

Postby osteth » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:04 am

I would like to use these to enable connecting a graphics card to the parallella.
osteth

Postby Aschilder » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi,

In case You still have some porcupine boards available I would be glad to get one. My goal is to implement a simple Logic State analyser for spi, i2c, MDIO signals. In future one could think about adding also processing analog signals and FFT. Or adding a display controlled via spi or parallel bus.

Best Regards,
Andreas
Aschilder

Postby formica » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi,
I'm a Ph.D student (University of Genova) and I'm working on the implementation of perception algorithms and visual-inertial odometry for Flying Robots using kinect like sensors and optical flow.
If you have any porcupine breakout board, feel free to contact me.

Regards
Roberto
formica

Postby stevenl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:49 pm

I have recently discovered the Parallella board. Very nice. I have started moving my current project from the Intel Galileo to the Parallella board. I will be using the new board to interface to a Geiger counter and use this information in an encryption engine I am porting to my new board. Is the Porcupine board available for purchase? If not, any time frame? I need to do some advanced planning.
stevenl

Postby jharp » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:37 pm

I contacted support about this last week, but didn't hear back yet, so thought I'd post here as well to keep this thread going.

I too am very interested in getting a Porcupine board. Would gladly buy one immediately.

Can anyone provide an update on status?

Are there any boards left from the initial batch?

Has anyone gauged community interest to see if perhaps a KickStarter campaign or something similar would help solidify things and get financial commitments to justify building a batch with some degree of urgency?

Thanks,
Jeff
jharp

PreviousNext

Return to Daughter Cards & Accessories