[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - 4 Parallella Base with Fans & Netswitch

4 Parallella Base with Fans & Netswitch

Sub forum for Parallella daughter cards and accessories

Moderator: Folknology

4 Parallella Base with Fans & Netswitch

Postby gregb » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Below are details for building a 4 (or 5) Parallella mounting base with integrated gigabit switch.

I would like to make a shout out to JeremyBennett for giving me a starting point.
I modified his SCAD to integrate a 5 port gigabit switch.
My modified SCAD is available at .

Total cost is around $200 for a clean way to use/display 4 boards.
You could probably shorten the spacers and add a second 5 port switch to mount 5 Parallella.

Here is my equipment list:
Qty 2 - 3D printed base/top ($57ea)
Qty 1 - D-Link GO-SW-5GE 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch (mounted to base) ($23ea)
(There are two versions of this model, you want the one with LEDs in front, connections in rear)
Qty 4 - 6-inch Cat5e network cables ($8 lot)
Qty 2 - Cooler Master JetFlo 120 - POM Bearing 120mm White LED High Performance Silent Fans ($17 ea)
(removable resistor cables included to adjust fan speed)
1 lot - brass spacers, screws, washers, wires
(Actual cost in range of $20+, but I had to buy packages totaling around $60 to get the few I actually needed. holding on to the rest for future projects.)

Here are some pics of the finished product in ABS grey.

Top-Right_Xsml.jpg
Top-Right View
Top-Right_Xsml.jpg (213.93 KiB) Viewed 18478 times

The dual 120mm fans are a bit of overkill. I had planned to use the inline resistors that come with the fans to reduce their speed. These get pretty hot, so I was going to use the heat for some old style Christmas bubble lights and some brass tubes to steam-punk the final design. Maybe add an old style Ammeter to indicate the gigaflops generated.

Front_XSml.jpg
Front View
Front_XSml.jpg (392.55 KiB) Viewed 18478 times

The network switch LEDs were in the way of the posts that hold the Parallella-16 boards, so I extended them with some ribbon cable.
I had planned to mount these LEDs higher (hot melt glue? or modify the 3D base?) where I could see them from a distance.

Rear_XSml.jpg
Rear View
Rear_XSml.jpg (274.02 KiB) Viewed 18478 times

I notched our the base to allow for the CAT5e cables and I cut down some of the plastic around the connectors to fit around the brass posts.
gregb

Re: 4 Parallella Base with Fans & Netswitch

Postby gregb » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:25 pm

The folks at Shapeways.com gave me a credit to try them out. Since it was free... I had them build a base out of ceramic.

Ignoring the fuzz and dust in the picture... the result was ceramic... with a gloss black finish.... but it is not precision enough for the application.
When it was fired, the fan mounting posts spread right and left. You can see some additional distortions in the second picture.

Top down
20150322_121145.jpg
Ceramic Base
20150322_121145.jpg (212.73 KiB) Viewed 18476 times

Underside
20150322_121132.jpg
Underside of base
20150322_121132.jpg (186.63 KiB) Viewed 18476 times

Side view - Ceramic base versus plastic base
20150322_121101.jpg
Side
20150322_121101.jpg (150.51 KiB) Viewed 18476 times
gregb

Postby gregb » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:00 pm

I am selling these parts because my other projects are taking all my spare time.
If you are interested, please see this post
gregb

Postby aolofsson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:56 am

Awesome project! You make it look easy.
Leverage in action. One project builds on another, that builds on another,... I wish we had more examples like this.

Andreas
aolofsson

Return to Daughter Cards & Accessories