minimum cables for parallella

Sub forum for Parallella daughter cards and accessories

Moderator: Folknology

minimum cables for parallella

Postby mahmood » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:28 pm

I am trying to install the OS on the SD card on my new parallella.

What is the cheapest way to connect parallella to the computer? Should I buy a HDMI cable (one side micro) and connect it the the LCD? At the first step, I have to use a USB cable (on side micro) and connect it to the computer. Can I ssh while installing the OS?!!
mahmood

Re: minimum cables for parallella

Postby sebraa » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:52 pm

You do not "install the OS" on the Parallella. Instead, you take the SD card to your computer and write a whole OS image onto it. Then you plug the SD card back into the Parallella and your OS is ready.

I would recommend an Ethernet cable to connect the Parallella and the PC. HDMI does not work with current images and USB I have never tried.
sebraa

Postby mahmood » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:33 pm

Just want to be sure that everything is standard, do you mean that I have to use a regular CAT5 or 6 cable and connect parallella to pc, or I have to use a cross cable or I have to connect parallella to one of the hub/switch port and connect the pc to the other port of the hub/switch?
mahmood

Postby sebraa » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:07 pm

You can use any ethernet cable to directly connect the Parallella to the PC, or you can use a switch, hub or router in between. The easiest way is to connect your PC and the Parallella to the same router, because then you don't need to install a DHCP server on your PC.
sebraa

Return to Daughter Cards & Accessories