[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - crosscompile environment

crosscompile environment

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

crosscompile environment

Postby ed2k » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:27 am

is it possible to have a cross compile environemnt. I have 3.x x86_64 sdk and 4.x armv7l sdk.
however the speed to compile on the prototype board is too slow. I would like to have a 4.x sdk working on x86_64.
My assumption is the 4.x SDK only changed epiphancy HAL (which I don't have source code), Can I use the 3.x e-gcc toolchian combine with 4.x header files and libs. Should I worry about cross-compile host program ? since the e-loader library is compiled under arm environment.

Thanks,
ed2k

Re: crosscompile environment

Postby simoncook » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:24 am

If you have the ARM libraries on your host system and an ARM compiler on your system you should be able to just use those libraries and compile the host program. I'm not entirely sure on the differences between SDK versions regarding Epiphany libraries (I don't have them to hand myself to quickly check) but it should just work.

Alternatively if that doesn't work, if you compile the available SDK source and give each compiler (ARM and Epiphany) the correct libraries from the current release I'm 99% sure that would work.

Hope that helps,
Simon
Useful SDK Links: - - -
simoncook

Postby ysapir » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:56 pm

I use the cross compiler I downloaded from the CodeSourcery website. They provide support for multiple platforms, ARM cross-compiler is one of them.

As for the Epiphany code, you can safely use the e-gnu tools from esdk.3.* to generate the Ephiphany ELF-s and SREC-s.

There are a few changes to the eLib, but there are mostly behind-the-scenes.
ysapir

Postby ubii » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:07 pm

ysapir,

Did you download the Lite Edition, a 30-day trial of the Standard Edition, or did you actually buy an edition?
ubii

Postby ysapir » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:40 pm

@ubii - I used the free, no support Lite version. I did not need the fancy IDE for the kind of stuff we do here. Anyway, if using Eclipse, one can set the compiler to that installation to use the cross-compilation features.
ysapir

Postby ubii » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:26 am

ysapir,

Thanks, I will download the the Lite Edition as well, since I have no plans on using Eclipse.
ubii

Postby clund » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:10 pm

There is a Xilinx Zynq specific version of this Code Sourcery ARM cross compiler. You download it from the Xilinx site here:
http://wiki.xilinx.com/zynq-tools

Digilent's support documents say this flavor of the compiler is needed to build a new Linux kernel for the Zedboard.

I have not compared it to the Lite version. Thus I don't know what, if anything, is different.

Craig
clund

Postby 8l » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:36 am

8l

Return to Programming Q & A