[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - upgrading/building epiphany

upgrading/building epiphany

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

upgrading/building epiphany

Postby rheiland » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:40 am

I'd like to upgrade my epiphany sdk and want to make sure I'm doing things correctly. Previously, I had installed:
in /opt/adapteva, /esdk symlinked to /esdk.5.13.09.10

I now have, in /opt/adapteva: /sdk symlinked to /epiphany-sdk-esdk-2015.1

and am proceeding with:
linaro@linaro-nano:/opt/adapteva/sdk$ sudo ./build-epiphany-sdk.sh
************ Epiphany SDK Build ************

Environment settings:

EPIPHANY_BUILD_HOME=/opt/adapteva
EPIPHANY_HOME=/opt/adapteva/esdk.RevUndefined
ESDK=/opt/adapteva/esdk.RevUndefined

Build settings:

Target architecture: armv7l
Build version: RevUndefined
Build from branch or tag: master

Logging to /opt/adapteva/logs/2015.1/clone-2015-03-29-1112.log
Cloning gcc...

Is this correct, or should I be running some of the other .sh scripts first? Thanks.
rheiland

Re: upgrading/building epiphany

Postby rheiland » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm definitely confused. The above continues with:

Cloning binutils...
Cloning gdb...
Cloning newlib...
Cloning cgen...
Cloning gdb-multicore-sim...
ERROR: Unable to clone gdb-multicore-sim
ERROR: Failed to download components

and fills my disk, leaving me with:

linaro@linaro-nano:/opt/adapteva$ ll
total 44
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Mar 29 12:55 ./
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 2 2014 ../
drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4096 Mar 29 10:25 binutils/
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Mar 29 11:13 cgen/
drwxrwxr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 31 22:05 epiphany-sdk-esdk-2015.1/
drwxrwxr-x 6 linaro linaro 4096 Mar 21 19:42 esdk.5.13.09.10/
drwxr-xr-x 34 root root 4096 Mar 29 08:58 gcc/
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 4096 Mar 29 11:08 gdb/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar 29 07:06 logs/
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Mar 29 11:11 newlib/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar 29 07:06 results/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Mar 29 07:06 sdk -> epiphany-sdk-esdk-2015.1/

linaro@linaro-nano:/opt/adapteva$ du -s *
468412 binutils
16528 cgen
196 epiphany-sdk-esdk-2015.1
342200 esdk.5.13.09.10
1382004 gcc
463440 gdb
16 logs
98240 newlib
8 results
0 sdk

Help?
rheiland

Postby rheiland » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:39 pm

Continuing this self-conversation... I've now downloaded just the binary distro(?):
-rw-r--r-- 1 linaro linaro 104926369 Mar 29 13:16 esdk.2015.1_linux_armv7l.tar.gz

and put it in /opt/adapteva, resulting in:
linaro@linaro-nano:/opt/adapteva/esdk$ e-gcc --version
e-gcc (Epiphany toolchain 2015.1) 4.8.2 20130729 (prerelease)

I'm still not entirely certain if this is the way to go. What I want to do next is build
https://github.com/parallella/pal
rheiland

Postby sebraa » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:03 pm

If you just want to upgrade the SDK, the simplest way is to write a new image to the SD card, since the new SDK (2015.1) requires a different kernel than the old SDK (5.13).
sebraa

Postby rheiland » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:35 pm

In that case, I'm confused. You're saying I can't use the new (2015) ESDK on my original OS?

From here: http://www.parallella.org/create-sdcard/ ("With Display"), I read:

The following distributions enable the HDMI display on the Parallella board and can be used with the Desktop, Embedded, and Kickstarter versions. Due to challenges with the FPGA HDMI integration, we currently do not have the latest ESDK and power saving features completed and the version below is an older one from June 2014. Software developers doing advanced work are strongly encouraged to use the more up to date headless distribution.

So I'm confused.
rheiland

Postby rheiland » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:34 pm

This is what I'm getting when I run a test. Is this due to my updating to the esdk.2015.1 and not changing my kernel? I'm still confused about the headless vs. with-display notice, as I stated above.

~/git/epiphany-examples/test/e-main$ ./run.sh
e-main.elf: e_init(): EPIPHANY_DEV file open failure.
e-main.elf: e_init(): Failed to initialize the Epiphany Shared Memory Manager.
e-main.elf: ee_write_esys(): EPIPHANY_DEV file open failure.
e-main.elf: e_reset_system(): Failed

e-main.elf: e_get_platform_info(): Platform was not initialized. Use e_init().
e-main.elf: e_open(): Platform was not initialized. Use e_init().
e-main.elf: e_alloc(): Platform was not initialized. Use e_init().
e-main.elf:
ERROR: Can't allocate external memory buffer!

...waiting for core (0,0)
FAILED for core (0,0)
./run.sh: line 16: 2898 Segmentation fault ./e-main.elf e-task.elf
rheiland

Postby aolofsson » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:58 am

They have to go in lockstep. If you are upgrading to the 2015.1 ESDK I REALLY recommend taking the whole microserver kernel as is from the site.
Andreas
aolofsson

Postby rheiland » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:02 am

I'm happy to do whatever I need to. I'm just confused on exactly what that is :-) As I mentioned above, when I go to the download site (https://www.parallella.org/create-sdcard/), I find that the distro for a Parallella "With Display" (what I have/want) is actually not up-to-date.

To complicate matters (or not), I'm also ordered a larger (blank) uSD card and will want to burn/use it.

sorry to be dense, but I appreciate the support, Randy
rheiland

Postby cmcconnell » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:13 pm

Colin.
cmcconnell

Postby rheiland » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Thanks. I guess I was just in denial - that I couldn't have my cake and eat it too. I definitely want to use the board to do some data visualization, so I need a distro with a "head". But I also want to get the latest goodies with the ESDK. Guess I'll wait to hear what, if anything, the community says about future plans.
rheiland

Next

Return to Programming Q & A