[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Building Epiphany SDK on the Parallella with Arch Linux ARM

Building Epiphany SDK on the Parallella with Arch Linux ARM

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Building Epiphany SDK on the Parallella with Arch Linux ARM

Postby Befedo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi folks,
I'am trying to build the Epiphany SDK on the Parallella Board running Arch Linux ARM.

I obtained the Arch Linux ARM Image from but there is also another one related to Xilinx . Creating the SD-Card wasn't the problem. Further I installed the Epiphany SDK like shown here , it also runs through.

Building applications from the examples runs through but when I execute 'run.sh' the whole system hangs and i have to poweroff/-on to get SSH-Access again.

Got anyone the eSDK running on the Parallella with Arch Linux ARM and can give me some hints or point out what I have to provide to solve this problem?

Thanks for your time and best regards,

Befedo
Befedo

Re: Building Epiphany SDK on the Parallella with Arch Linux

Postby aolofsson » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:52 pm

Seems like you are either missing a driver or the archlinux package has an outdated one.
If there is a driver mismatch and you try to read from the Epiphany, the system will hang. (there is no timeout on a read transaction that doesn't return)
aolofsson

Postby Befedo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Hello Andreas,
thanks for the quick reply. But I'am not so an Linux Expert, how can I figure out the Driver mismatch?

Thanks for your time,

Befedo
Befedo

Postby peteasa » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:52 am

peteasa

Postby Befedo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:48 am

Hi Folks,
and thank you very much for the quick response @peteasa. I updated the bitstream according to your link and so it works thus it is necessary to rebuild the Arch Linux ARM Kernel?
Furthermore I was looking into your GitHub Repository , could this be done also on the Parallella or is it intended to be build on the host machine?

Thank you very much for your time and best regards,

Befedo
Befedo

Postby peteasa » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:09 pm

For someone without much linux experience I would recommend sticking with the official releases from the parallella web site based on Ubuntu.

If you want to get more involved Arch Linux ARM Kernel looks like a good starting point provided you know what you are building and match up the various sources.

My environment at https://github.com/peteasa/parallella allows you to build epiphany code on either the parallella or the host build machine, it is up to you. At the moment it provides a development environment for parallella, fpga and epiphany (but I have not yet built in the e-gdb epiphany debug tool). On the fpga it is based on the elink redesign, however I added the hdmi cores to get hdmi working. On the linux I use a set of Yocto recipes that allow me to create a simple linux environment or (with core-image-sato) a full X windows based linux desktop environment. I can switch between the official Parallella kernel and the Analog Devices Inc linux kernel. I added the ability to build in the epiphany-sdk into the linux distribution for use on target and also by including the epiphany-sdk in the yocto host based SDK I can build epiphany code on the development machine. I think its a great environment but then I am a bit biased and also have the Xilinx Vivado tools installed as well as all the linux build tools so I can work on both the hardware HDL and the software.

Peter.
peteasa

Return to Programming Q & A