[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Laptop sandbox for x86_64

Laptop sandbox for x86_64

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Laptop sandbox for x86_64

Postby mnguy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:23 pm

I would like to start learning about Parallel Programming now in anticipation of someday :)
acquiring an epiphany 16 or 64 core board.
It my understanding that I need a computer with an Cuda enabled GPU and Linux running on it.
Onto that I will install the SDK.
I have been looking for a laptop that will allow me to accomplish this but everything I have found thus far costs at least $1000.
Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative?

By the way, as a starting point I found this free Intro to Parallel Programming course for anyone interested.
It states that all of the learning can be done in the browser.
http://www.udacity.com/overview/Course/ ... ourseRev/1

Thanks in advance to anyone responding to my questions.
mnguy

Re: Laptop sandbox for x86_64

Postby LamsonNguyen » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:32 pm

CUDA is incompatible with Epiphany and the SDK has a simulator included with Eclipse IDE. So, any computer will do.
LamsonNguyen

Postby fmotta » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:15 am

fmotta

Postby mnguy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:43 am

Thanks for clarifying guys.
This makes things a lot easier and less expensive. :D
mnguy

Postby ysapir » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:34 am

ysapir

Postby jeremybennett » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi mnguy,

If you want an OpenCL tutorial, then a starting point is AMD's intro: http://developer.amd.com/tools/heteroge ... to-opencl/. If you are running on an Intel platform, then their introductory material may prove useful: http://software.intel.com/en-us/article ... ng-started. Like most parallel programming tutorials, these assume you are already a competent C/C++ programmer.

The Intel material is focussed on running OpenCL on plain Intel plaforms and Intel HD graphics, and is for Windows plaforms only. ATI supports OpenCL on most of its Radeon graphics. I'm not sure of the status of nVidia OpenCL support for it GeForce graphics.

If you want a laptop/PC to run Linux, avoid Windows 8 for now, since its secure boot can prevent Linux being installed. With Windows 7, any of the standard Linux versions can be installed "dual-boot" out of the box, so you can start up in either Windows or Linux as you wish.

HTH,

Jeremy
jeremybennett

Postby mnguy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks for your replies.
This will be a new environment for me to learn in and I appreciate your patience with some of my questions.
jeremybennett: you mentioned any of the standard linux versions will work as a learning environment until I get an Epiphany board. I have downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu 12.10 and 12.04. Does the SDK prefer one over the other?
Also, will it be possible to build executables for the 16 or 64 core boards on an Intel platform and just move them to the E board for execution? Or will the development have to be done on the E board?

Finally, I am not really clear as to whether or not there is an Epiphany SDK available that I can download and run on an x86 Linux (Ubuntu) environment (please see above) or is the SDK only for an E board running Linux/Ubuntu?
If it is available can someone please tell me what to find it?

Thanks again for your patience. :)
mnguy

Postby fmotta » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:06 pm

fmotta

Postby aolofsson » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:47 pm

fmotta, and all:

The SDK is currently available to those backers who receive as part of their pledge reward or chipped in $50 for early SDK access.

From the Kickstarter page:

"SDK-ACCESS: You get a special login account and early access to the Epiphany SDK within 4 weeks of successful funding of the the project. Everyone else will get general access to software at time of shipment in May 2013. (Add $50 to any reward tier that doesn't already get early SDK access)"
aolofsson

Postby mnguy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks aolofsson for your clarifying the SDK access.

I am new to Parallel Programming and would like to setup an environment on my PC, that is not unlike what I will have on one of your boards, where I can learn about Parallel Programming. I have done some C programming in the past.
What would be your recommendations for that environment? Linux version? 32 vs 64 bit? Anthing else?

Thank you very much for your time. :)
mnguy

Next

Return to Programming Q & A