OpenBTS on Parallella.

Moderator: tjt7a

OpenBTS on Parallella.

Postby 9600 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 pm

The OpenBTS software can be used to create a GSM base station for a great deal less than a proprietary solution would cost, and together with Asterisk provides a turnkey network with SIP support etc. It's also a fantastic exemplar for open source SDR and has seen much use in the field over the years.

The low power consumption and high performance of Parallella would seem like a perfect match for OpenBTS, making it easier to support installations that are off the mains grid, and perhaps multichannel configurations using only a single low power system.

It would be really great to see OpenBTS support for Parallella and it seems that I'm not the only one who thinks so:

Alexander Chemeris on Openbts-discuss wrote:We're interested, just don't have enough free cycles to work on this
at the moment.

But if someone from community will get OpenBTS with full 8 timeslots
running on Parallella, I promise to give him a box of beer,
Open-Source Telecom t-shirt and our latest UmTRX for free. And may be
more ;)

The UmTRX is an impressive dual-channel wideband SDR transceiver, it's open source hardware too, and that's a pretty generous offer from Alexander!

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Re: OpenBTS on Parallella.

Postby tnt » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Unfortunately I fear that it will just "work" on the ARM without having to offload anything to the epiphany.
tnt

Postby 9600 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:34 pm

tnt wrote:Unfortunately I fear that it will just "work" on the ARM without having to offload anything to the epiphany.

Right, so by support I, and presumably Alexander also, mean with Epiphany offload. Such that you can reduce power consumption, leave headroom on the ARM for other applications, e.g. Asterisk and VPN, and do multi-ARFCN support.
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby SDRGuy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:59 pm

Hello,

Include:

Roaming

Handover

And yes the UmTRX is LOVELY!

Sincerely,

SDRGuy
SDRGuy

Postby tnt » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:20 pm

Roaming / Handover are at a much higher level than the SDR transceiver part.
tnt

Return to Software Defined Radio