Installing Gnu Radio on the Parallella

Moderator: tjt7a

Re: Installing Gnu Radio on the Parallella

Postby tjt7a » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:14 am

While attempting to port blocks to the Epiphany, my lab and I were time-sharing a Parallella board. I didn't have enough time to get the porting done, and I ran into a few issues with running example code on the board. I now have a board to myself, so I should be able to help without interruption. I may need some help with the Epiphany tools.

Is there a good intro / tutorial that you could point me to? As for writing GNU Radio blocks, I have a lot of experience with that given my area of research.

Tom
tjt7a

Postby bobdvb » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:10 am

Probably a misguided view but could someone start by augmenting libboost? That way you could at least get some mathematical routines farmed out, I don't know if the latency would discount it as a waste of time but I have seen discussions about adding OpenCL to libboost:
http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/Inte ... 35922.html
bobdvb

Postby dar » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:33 am

tjt7a wrote:I may need some help with the Epiphany tools. Is there a good intro / tutorial that you could point me to? As for writing GNU Radio blocks, I have a lot of experience with that given my area of research.
Tom

We have not announced anything yet but we are working on a lower-level direct API for Epiphany that we believe will be useful for development. The idea was to expose the machinery we used to implement OpenCL in a more direct way, for app developers and middleware developers. So for what its worth, we should be posting a description of this API soon. I might be useful for projects like this. The GNU Radio project looks interesting, and if this API would prove useful, we would welcome feedback on how we could help the effort.
dar

Postby dar » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:41 am

bobdvb wrote:Probably a misguided view but could someone start by augmenting libboost? That way you could at least get some mathematical routines farmed out, I don't know if the latency would discount it as a waste of time but I have seen discussions about adding OpenCL to libboost:

I do not know the specifics of what is used from BOOST in this project, but we did some work with extending a BOOST container to OpenCL devices and using this for expression-template based acceleration. More details can be found using the link below. Both STL vector and BOOST multi_array were extended using STDCL which can use OpenCL indirectly for supported devices. Maybe someone finds something useful in this for future work using BOOST.

More details here, BOOST discussed in sections 5.5 (the container) and 5.7 (expression-templates):
http://www.browndeertechnology.com/docs/coprthr_primer-1.5.0.html#clvector---a-c-container-using-opencl-device-sharable-memory
dar

Previous

Return to Software Defined Radio