HackRF

Moderator: tjt7a

Re: HackRF

Postby tnt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:04 pm

Gravis wrote:well, for one, HackRF itself was around over and working over a year ago. you could get all the files for it on github (and you still can) and it would be cheaper just to build it yourself. so really, my complaint is more of the overhead for the parts and assembly.

First off, No it wasn't. Even the Jawbreaker beta boards didn't exist yet. Only the jelly bean board existed then and required several vendor provided demo board for the RF front end and they themselves costed way more than 275$ ...

Secondly, no it wouldn't be cheaper to build it yourself. Several people have done it and spent more than that and others have just given up looking at the price to acquire the various pieces. In general manufacturing things in unit of 1 is just plain expensive. And all of that is without even considering your time worth to do the assembly ...

And finally, if you think you can do better, by all mean do the world a favor and provide the same board for less. As you said it's OSHW so what are you waiting for ?
tnt

Postby Gravis » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:03 pm

tnt wrote:Secondly, no it wouldn't be cheaper to build it yourself. Several people have done it and spent more than that and others have just given up looking at the price to acquire the various pieces. In general manufacturing things in unit of 1 is just plain expensive. And all of that is without even considering your time worth to do the assembly

umm... i just looked up the parts and you could build the board, pcb and parts for <$100 with a good margin if you just made one. i think the people that were trying didnt have the tools required (solder iron/reflow oven, xilinx programmer, ARM programmer, etc) or experience. also, assembly isnt bad if you just use a reflow oven.

on a side note, he uses a MCU by SI which is not a good idea because they seem to EOL their chips annually or something evil like that. i switched to freescale even though it cost a bit more because they actually keep their chip lines alive and have well supported software.
Gravis

Postby Hoernchen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Some people don't understand that stuff like the HackRF does not just create itself, but that it takes a considerable amount of time, and that time needs to (or rather: should) be paid. Still, if you think you can manufacture it for way less, go for it. Good luck debugging that one, I happen to have a hand-soldered pre-beta prototype, and it has no shortage of "issues".
Hoernchen

Postby tjt7a » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:12 am

When considering the price of the USRP and all of the required daughtercards, HackRF is cheap. I am looking forward to getting one when they're ready to mass produce.

Tom
tjt7a

Previous

Return to Software Defined Radio