Request for BOINC guide for noobs

Request for BOINC guide for noobs

Postby aolofsson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:40 am

There are now 10,000 Parallella boards shipped. Wouldn't it be great if they could all be running BOINC 24/7...

Could someone (with more experience than me) write up a simple guide for the optimal way of installing and running BOINC?

Questions I have for the experts:
-is it good enough to install from sudo apt-get?
-command line versus the manager?
-recommendations for projects to attach to?
-should it be included in the basic released image?

Andreas
aolofsson

Re: Request for BOINC guide for noobs

Postby Claggy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:20 pm

At present for the Parallella Ubuntu 14.04 release sudo apt-get is the way to run Boinc,
while i managed to compile Boinc on the Ubuntu 14.01 release, and run Einstein and Albert work sucessfully,
trying to compile Boinc (with Boinc Manager) on the 14.04 release runs into dependency problems before you get that far:

linaro-nano:~> sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgtk2.0-dev : Depends: libpango1.0-dev (>= 1.20) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libcairo2-dev (>= 1.6.4-6.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Running Boinc 7.2.42 via sudo apt-get, and the boinc-app-seti app (7.19~svn2051-2) from sudo apt-get too only produces inconclusive/invalid results,
Best to skip running that (Beyond confirming my result), and try running the other suitable projects:

Asteroids, Collatz Conjecture, Einstein, Enigma, OProject, Quake Catcher Network, Radioactive@Home, Yoyo@home
(assuming you have suitable sensors for Quake Catcher and Radioactiveathome)

I did post a quick guide about compiling Boinc over at Seti, but it is pointless reposting it until the libgtk2.0-dev dependency problem is fixed.

Claggy
Claggy

Postby Claggy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:02 pm

The fix for the dependency problem is to add trusty-updates to the sources.list in /etc/apt

Just add the following two lines:

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ trusty-updates main universe
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ trusty-updates main universe

I get ~150Mb of downloads with this one change, hopefully it'll improve Firefox's reliability too,

Claggy
Claggy

Postby aolofsson » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:06 pm

Nice! Thank you for the feedback!! I'll try it as well and see how it goes.
aolofsson

Postby Claggy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:06 pm

aolofsson wrote:Nice! Thank you for the feedback!! I'll try it as well and see how it goes.

There's trusty-security, trusty-proposed and trusty-backports that can be added too,
I just compared what my Pi had in sources.list, which wasn't much,
then what my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Laptop had, that has a more extensive sources.list

Claggy
Claggy

Postby MarkjBOINC » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:04 pm

LocutusofBorg has a ppa that can be used to get the alpha-test BOINC client. As of writing it's got the 7.4.13 client and then you can simply use apt-get to get it. I have Ubuntu 14.04 installed plus the BOINC client. As I use ssh to access the Pi's and Parallella's I don't use the BOINC manager. I use a windows PC with BOINCtasks to see what they are up to.

Adding this PPA to your system
You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:costamagnagianfranco/locutusofborg-ppa to your system's Software Sources. (Read about installing)
MarkjBOINC

Postby Claggy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:28 pm

aolofsson wrote:Nice! Thank you for the feedback!! I'll try it as well and see how it goes.

Somewhere in the last month, one or more updates broke both my Ubuntu 14.04 Parallellla installations,
while they both still boot, neither go to the logon page, both going to a root command prompt,
I can logon to the linaro user, but what I can't do on either parallellas is startx,
on attempting that it catches a signal 11 segmentation fault.

I've switched one parallella back to a different microSDCard and it's busy crunching on that,
while on the other I'm doing daily updates to see if anything fixes it,
at some point i'll just flash it and start again.

Claggy
Claggy

Postby Len » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:25 pm

It is still broken, I tried adding the two repositories and it errored out. Has anyone done any research as to what is breaking it? Mine broke with:

errors were encountered while processing:
libpam-systemd:armhf
E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returnd and error code(1)

I'm interested in getting the neon acceleration working, I would think a couple of processors with neon accelerators would process video as well as a Raspberry Pi with one processor. I'm thinking only one processor is really running the Linux right now, but could be totally wrong.

gstreamer1.0 improved the youtube playback some, but it still has no sound and although Linux recognizes video and audio files and will start a suitable program when double clicked on, it doesn't actually play the file.
Len

Postby Claggy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Len wrote:It is still broken, I tried adding the two repositories and it errored out. Has anyone done any research as to what is breaking it? Mine broke with:

errors were encountered while processing:
libpam-systemd:armhf
E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returnd and error code(1)

I had that from the start too, but it didn't seem to effect operation, Late August there was a change that stops my trusty installations getting to their login screens,

All I get now is:

Linaro 14.04 linaro-nano tty1

linaro-nano login: Last login: Sat Oct 25 16:05:07 UTC 2014 on tty1
Welcome to Linaro 14.04 (GNU/Linux 3.12.0-g0bc9c3a-dirty armv71)

* Documentation: https://wiki.linaro.org/
root@linaro-nano:~#

I did try a new installation on one of my micro-SDcards, but just got the same, I've subsequently added trusty-security too, but no change.

Claggy
Claggy

Return to Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC)