[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Day One Status

Day One Status

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Day One Status

Postby Transcendental » Wed May 07, 2014 5:53 pm

I received my two boards - Epiphany 16 of course - and for each I soldered the link across J15 and put a 25 x 6.9 mm 5V DC fan in the standard Adapteva case. Using the Adapteva power supply, and connecting only Ethernet, and not USB or HDMI, each board booted, acquired an IP address, and then was able to successfully run matmul16 and the cycle count program for math operations. I haven't tried to run other example programs.

So far, so good, and I'd like to think things will stay that way... one board idles at 54C and the other at 57C. I use fan, heatsink, and Arctic Silver 5 (not the adhesive formulation, although I should have; with reasonable care I don't suppose the heatsink will be moving too far).

I see that some Epiphany example programs need to be built, the 2D FFT and etc., so the next step will be in that direction, as well as gingerly trying to connect USB and HDMI (at least some of the time).
Transcendental

Re: Day One Status

Postby 9600 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Thanks for sharing your initial experiences and look forward to hearing more about how you get on in due course!

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Re: Day One Status

Postby stefan.morley » Sat May 10, 2014 3:14 am

Had to wait for Day two, Weekend :-)

Too cool.

Almost about the most painless excersise one could hope for. Least from my perspective, having used the PI least Linux felt familiar. Only battle was finding the assorted cables. That and trying to figure out if the HDMI is working out of the box (distro), supposed to work or needs some prodding to get working. Still don't know. But all the command line examples work from putty, still to figure out the fft2d, even after changeing the e_reset stuff but no matter the others do something useful.

HDMI would be nice but really not a deal breaker. TighVNC runs fine and RealVNC the viewer does everyting I want for now.

FWIW this is my first post to the forum from the parallella via RealVNC viewer.

Thanks Adapteva
Stefan
stefan.morley

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A