How to setup a cluster for a newbie

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

How to setup a cluster for a newbie

Postby kspringall » Wed May 07, 2014 9:17 pm

I just got the Kickstarter cluster kit, I don't know how to setup a cluster. I'm not new to Ubuntu, but I am far from a pro. Step by step instructions would be fabulous and much appreciated. Can anyone help me out? This article isn't helpful to me where I am at: http://www.adapteva.com/white-papers/bu ... f-cluster/. Should I follow these exact steps in this article? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MpichCluster
kspringall

Re: How to setup a cluster for a newbie

Postby optimaler » Thu May 08, 2014 6:08 am

Hi kspringall-

I've been working on my own cluster and trying to build a guide along the way, but I've been bogged down with school stuff as of the last week, otherwise I'd already have it up. That said, the guide you linked to (the MPICH guide), is more or less a good way to start out, and basically how I'm doing it (although I'm trying for authentication a little more elegant than ssh-keys, but I might be abandoning that in favor of ssh-keys anyway).

Depending on whether you have an 8 board or 4 board cluster, you may also consider a batch scheduler like SLURM or PBS so you can dynamically assign workloads, and if you have an existing home server, you'll probably want to use that as a fileserver instead of one of your parallellas, provided it has gigabit ethernet. I also recommend setting up at least two directories for mpi programs, one for applictions, and one for scratch space.

I will try to get my cluster guide finished by the end of the week (no guarantees), but if you run into any trouble or come up with any protips to share, just stick a post in the clustering subforum way at the bottom of the forum listings. At the very least, I'll be watching it daily.

-opti
optimaler

Re: How to setup a cluster for a newbie

Postby ysapir » Mon May 19, 2014 2:14 am

ysapir

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A