[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - parallela based laptop

parallela based laptop

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

parallela based laptop

Postby dacian » Wed May 14, 2014 8:54 am

Hi all,
I would like to make a parallela based laptop but I have little to no hardware design experience. I see it as several parallela boards working together as massive parallela computer which is just sipping energy depending on the needs.
I'm tired of these monsters that need special cooling because you have one massive processor that consumes tons of watts for nothing.
I'm ok with embedded systems so the software I can handle but the hardware it is too much for me.
Like for example how you would design the hardware so that one can access more then 4GB of RAM since the CPU is designed for 32bit addressing as far as I read?
Would be interested anyone to help me in this project or at least give me some directions if this would be possible or not?
best regards,
dacian
dacian

Re: parallela based laptop

Postby CIB » Wed May 14, 2014 9:13 am

Don't have an answer to your question, but instead of multiple parallelas, you might want to throw an RPi in there for the GPU. ;)

Actually, regarding GPUs, is it possible to connect a dedicated GPU to the parallela? I've read about GPUs that can be attached externally to laptops, maybe the same method would work for the parallela to use the parallela as "motherboard" inside a computer..
CIB

Postby dacian » Wed May 14, 2014 9:22 am

thank you but that is what I want to avoid.
I think the chip from Adapteva has enough power it just needs to be programmed properly.
And the more standard and homogenous components you have in a computer the easier is to manage them.
Plus as I said I want low power so no big cpu-s gpu-s or other big processing units in the design.
dacian

Postby 9600 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 am

@dacian I'd probably take an enclosure similar to the and fit it with an 8-port gigabit Ethernet PCB assembly as many boards as possible, leaving room for a battery and, if required, storage. You can't add RAM modules to Parallella and so you need to work with available memory, and presumably if you are using multiple boards you will be figuring out some way to distribute your workload anyway.

@CIB I think those external laptop GPUs use a CardBus to PCI expander. I couldn't say for certain, but I'd imagine that it may be possible to attach a GPU via the PEC_FPGA expansion and it's mostly a matter of work required. It has also been suggested that some accelerated graphics capabilities could be implemented in the FPGA.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby dacian » Wed May 14, 2014 11:58 am

@Andrew:
1: is it not possible to use the GPIO port on the board to communicate to other boards? I consider ethernet too slow for communication.
divide them in four connectors north south west east direction. Maybe have some extra routing logic that could scale the 48 GPIO-s depending on needs to the four directions.
Maybe even the DSP ports could be used but that for later.
2: Ignoring the big issue of distributing the workload, I understand that what I'm saying next needs a different pcb layout but would it be possible to design a simplified version of parallela board that does not have any connectors except the 4 GPIO ones mentioned above? like this lets say you have a version of PCB able to connect to 3 simplified boards on the side of the laptop and the simplified version mentioned before in the inner side of the laptop board. would this be possible?
dacian

Postby 9600 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Andrew Back

Postby dacian » Wed May 14, 2014 12:46 pm

@Andrew
thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it.
So your suggestion, if I understand correctly, would be to prove the concept first using just the 2 connectors from the DSP and if the software is ready and can scale move to the next step and design the hardware extensions described at 2.
OK. I'll try that first.
dacian

Postby 9600 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Andrew Back

Postby dacian » Wed May 14, 2014 2:09 pm

@Andrew
one more question and I'm done.
Where can I get/buy cables that can connect the ones exposed by the DSP?
dacian

Postby 9600 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Adapteva plan to offer cables but these are not available just yet.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Next

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A