[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - User Experience

User Experience

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

User Experience

Postby stefan.morley » Thu May 15, 2014 12:11 am

Hi All

Qualify my level of understanding in so far as I'm mainly a hardware person, analogue, assorted embedded micro’s without an OS, good C programming exposure and a smattering of Linux in the form of x86 and Arm. Got a couple of immediate applications to throw at the board and wondering how far I head down this path or wait till things mature a bit.

User experience after a week.

Great, absolutely excited about where this will go but frustrated the “how to” and related sources have moved on and no longer seem related. Quick Start guide is fine but the sources and “how to” are no longer one and the same. Probably where at one point in time but that was before I got my boards.

Once I got over the initial playing around I wanted to rebuild the kernel to bring in a couple of drivers. FTDI and Camera mainly to get some real world data to operate on. While I've done it on a few platforms before I'm no expert and the “how to” differences make me wonder where the problems lie. Probably me but...

Open sourcing this will have massive benefits and I'm excited to see what turns up. Assorted peoples will come on board as assorted point in time with differing levels of understanding. The initial "how to" is a good leg up to capitalize on the man years you guys have put in. These will be hardware people dabbling in software and software people dabbling in hardware. There is a bit of everything on this board, hardware in the form of interfaces and the FPGA, software in to form of the Arm and the Epihpany.

To capitalize on the skills of this wide audience they need to be quickly brought up to scratch. From what I've seen the current binary image seems to work fine and that would be a good reference point. Seems most of the "how to" work has already been done, just fragmented.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Stefan
stefan.morley

Re: User Experience

Postby shodruk » Thu May 15, 2014 1:48 am

Shodruky
shodruk

Postby 9600 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:09 am

Andrew Back

Postby stefan.morley » Sun May 18, 2014 8:11 am

Lazy wasn't a word that came to mind. Amazing what has been achieved in really a relatively short period of time.

FWIW this is the link I was working through when I had problems, Kernel section specifically but can't remember which step.
http://www.adapteva.com/white-papers/bu ... -platform/

Notice shodruk has written this up yesterday.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1230

Might have another crack.

Also had an issue with the epiphany sdk here viewtopic.php?f=48&t=999, apart from one prerequisite needing to be 64 bit not 32 bit detailed here http://www.browndeertechnology.com/docs ... _build.pdf (my Ubuntu is setup as 32) but there was another problem, just can't remember what. I'll have another go at it later in the week and see where the wheels fell off. Most of it seemed to happen so probably just something I didn't do.

BTW one of my boards has been running continuously without a hiccup.

Cheers
Stefan
stefan.morley

Postby stefan.morley » Sun May 18, 2014 9:29 am

Hi,

Build the kernel step

make -j 2 LOADADDR=0x8000 uImage

and comes back with no rule to make uImage.

Is this is because I'm trying to compile it on an x86 but the instructions are for compilation natively on the Parallella?

Seems happy enough to compile on the x86 using make -j 2 LOADADDR=0x8000 but assume that will be useless for the Paralella given it won't be cross compiling.

Stefan
stefan.morley

Postby shodruk » Sun May 18, 2014 9:49 am

Sorry, this guide is only about native compiling on a Parallella board.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1230

Cross compiling guide is here.
https://github.com/parallella/parallella-bin
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby stefan.morley » Sun May 18, 2014 10:16 am

Shodruky,

Thanks for your help.

Good write up you did even if I missed the point. Was trying it natively last week and didn't happen. Will give it a go next week.

Think I've got enough to be dangerous now.

Cheers
Stefan
stefan.morley

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A