[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Ubuntu audio tools

Ubuntu audio tools

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Ubuntu audio tools

Postby theover » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:38 pm

As some may remember I planned to do some sound stuff with the Parallella board, so I'd like to begin with making sure I have the option of running sound from Linux.

From the nice ray tracing example I take it that the HDMI sound isn't working ? There are no other sound devices on the board, so I prefer to be able to start "Jack" (jackd) in networked mode. I can add a simple or very high grade DA convertor to the board via usb, but then a hub would be required for the USB, which also isn't very reliable (BIG PROBLEM).

At any rate, for some basic audio processing to be facilitated, I'd prefer some form of Alsa to work on the board, and that jack can start up, at least in "dummy" mode, so I can start processing racks ("jack-rack") and when that runs, replace parts of the processing by working away from the ARM processors to the FPGA and possibly Epiphany.

When I apt-install jack, it crashes. I've had some sort of issue like this on the Raspberry PI, which I have solved (I didn't record much log, but I should be able to find back some of the work I did), but I wondered if for the Parallella someone has already made alsa_ jack work (jack appears to be lacking "cpu speed" in the device description, and alsa simply doesn't recognize a standard USB DA convertor, which does get recognized by the system, shows up correctly with "lsusb").

Anyhow, I might proceed on my own, in that case I'll report back, bu I hope some people already made this work!

T.
theover

Re: Ubuntu audio tools

Postby FHuettig » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:14 pm

-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby hochopeper » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:53 pm

I haven't seen anyone use it yet but the power samtec connector has spdif, you could get a samtec breakout board, I saw a link somewhere 9600 gave they're not cheap though ~80usd for a break out board, can't recall the link or what thread it was posted in right now (and I am posting from a nexus5 so ...) That would just need a toslink transmitter and you'd be off.

In the longer term I'm thinking about multichannel i2s output via gpio and/or multiple aes/ebu outputs and a daughter card to suit is on my to do list however that list isn't short and it isn't at the top of the list just yet but I do gave a hand full of the samtec connectors here for when I get around to making that daughter board.
hochopeper

Postby shodruk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:14 pm

I managed to use Sound Blaster X-Fi HD with my Parallella board.

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/ ... premium-hd

It supports 96kHz Hi-Fi audio on Linux!! :D

How to:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1230&p=8602#p8602
Shodruky
shodruk

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A