[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Programs on one or many cores?

Programs on one or many cores?

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Programs on one or many cores?

Postby baseballguy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi,

I was running some of the programs from this website (https://github.com/parallella/parallella-examples) like aobench, mandelbrot, and more. I was wondering if these programs are being excecuted on a single core or if they are utilizing all 16 cores. Is there a way to check the performance of each core?

Thanks
baseballguy

Re: Programs on one or many cores?

Postby gceline » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:35 pm

Most are running on 16 cores - take a look at the code to see how this is implemented
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Postby baseballguy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:04 pm

Sorry, I'm kind of new to this parallel programming. What kind of things should I look for in the code to indicate that they are using more than one core?
baseballguy

Postby baseballguy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:26 pm

Also, is there any way to limit the number of cores used? For example, I want to compare a program running with only 4 cores as opposed to 16. Is that possible?
baseballguy

Postby greytery » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:32 am

Yep. Just check the SDK manual. There's a section in e-loader on 'workgroups', which allows you to load the programs on to a specific set of cores.
Not that I've tried it yet :(
tery
greytery

Postby shodruk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 am

Shodruky
shodruk

Postby baseballguy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I tried to change the number of cores like you said. I saved it,

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 14d9c68337

and tried running it again but I didnt see a change in the performance or anything. Is there a way to see the "statistics" as in the resolution, frames, iterations, etc like in your video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFWIC3RF0f8
baseballguy

Postby baseballguy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:38 pm

I just realized that there are now two host.c files

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6ae732df3c
baseballguy

Postby 9600 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:03 pm

Andrew Back

Postby baseballguy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Does anyone know what the problem is?

I have a feeling is has something to do with host.c and host.c~.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 95b473d789

Every time I edit one of the files to try to change the cores, another file with the same name with an added tilde is created (I did the same with aobench)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0fc87521a2

I viewed the contents of both files and found the the file WITHOUT the tilde had the modified cores (1) but the one WITH the tilde had the same number of cores as in the beginning (16)
baseballguy

Next

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A