Which USB hub - powered or not

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Which USB hub - powered or not

Postby yildizabdullah » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:51 am

My board SKU number is A101020.

I use S-link SL-U90 USB hub but it didn't work. Am I supposed to use a powered USB hub? By the way, USER LED CR10 and HDMI work properly.

I also noticed that USB_PWR_GD CR4 is OFF.

Is it possible that the board is damaged?

The board schematic says that P0_VBUS is output from MIC2025-1YM.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Please see the attached file.
Untitled.jpg (119.38 KiB) Viewed 10411 times
Last edited by yildizabdullah on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yildizabdullah

Re: Which USB hub - powered or not

Postby greytery » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:25 pm

yildizabdullah wrote:Am I supposed to use a powered USB hub?
By the way, USER LED CR10 and HDMI work properly.

Depends on power draw of the peripherals - but generally the best answer is Yes.
See the forum for users experience or advice at the Parallella eLinux page.

Cheers,
tery
greytery

Postby ajtravis » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:48 pm

yildizabdullah wrote:My board SKU is A101020.

I use S-link SL-U90 USB hub but it didn't work. Am I supposed to use a powered USB hub? By the way, USER LED CR10 and HDMI work properly.

I also noticed that USB_PWR_GD CR4 is OFF.

Is it possible that the board is damaged?

The board schematic says that P0_VBUS is output from MIC2025-1YM.

Hi, yildizabdullah.

I've had *real* problems with USB too: I bought a Belkin F4U018-BLK
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Hi-Speed-7-Port-Mobile-F4U018-BLK/dp/B004XM369I
This seems to have improved matters, but USB initialisation is still hit and miss...

HTH,

Tony.
Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby yildizabdullah » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:08 am

Hi,

I switched to a powered USB hub which is not certified by Parallella but it works. CR4 still does not work.
yildizabdullah

Postby 9600 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:25 am

yildizabdullah wrote:I switched to a powered USB hub which is not certified by Parallella but it works. CR4 still does not work.

Just to note that hubs need not be certified by Parallella or Adapteva — neither the project nor Adapteva certify peripherals in any case — but rather instead must conform to the relevant USB standards specifications.

Regards,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby ajtravis » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:49 am

9600 wrote:[...]
Just to note that hubs need not be certified by Parallella or Adapteva — neither the project nor Adapteva certify peripherals in any case — but rather instead must conform to the relevant USB standards specifications.

Hi, Andrew.

The Parallella community Wiki says otherwise :-)

http://elinux.org/Parallella_VerifiedPeripherals

[This is not, of course, a statement from either Parallella or Adapteva]

I bought a Belkin powered hub after reading this page on the Parallella Wiki because I'm still having problems initialising USB on all four of my SKU101020 parallella boards. Can you tell me definitively what the status of the 'rear' microUSB connector next to the 'barrel' power connector is - In particular, can it be used to connect to a PC as stated in the Parallella spec's?

I am using the 'rear' (non-OTG) connectors to power my Parallella boards from an 8A 4-way USB charger, but I have the same problem with USB if I use the supplied PSU's on a US->UK mains adapter. I've tried everything suggested in the forums, except soldering bits onto the boards. I think that USB problems like this are a common experience with Parallella users, not just a problem with my boards - all of which behave the same way.

I'm using a microUSB to USB OTG cable to connect to the board and plugging a standard USB A connector from the Belkin hub into it. I've tried just plugging a wireless keyboard tranceiver directly into the USB OTG cable, but it makes no difference.

I'd appreciate any help or advice you can give about this problem.

Thanks,

Tony.
ajtravis

Postby 9600 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:20 am

Hi Tony,

ajtravis wrote:The Parallella community Wiki says otherwise :-)

The wiki links to a list of certified products on usb.org.

The wiki itself lists peripherals that have been verified by the community to work. This is by no means the same as certified, and while this list is maintained by the community and with the best intentions, nobody is certifying that a device will work and that it will not under certain circumstances cause damage (it shouldn't, one would hope, but an important distinction nonetheless).

Can you tell me definitively what the status of the 'rear' microUSB connector next to the 'barrel' power connector is

My understanding is that at present it can be used for supplying power only. I'm not sure whether in future it may server a purpose beyond this and Fred or Andreas may be able to comment further.

I only really access my boards over the network and so don't tend to use USB (I generally favour headless use, e.g. with RasPi and BeagleBone etc. also).

For a single board I supply power via the barrel connector and then power a fan via the mounting hole pads. With a cluster of four boards I power them via the mounting hole pads and metal spacers, with a larger fan taking power the same way. In each case J15 is fitted, of course.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby ajtravis » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:29 am

9600 wrote:The wiki itself lists peripherals that have been verified by the community to work. This is by no means the same as certified, and while this list is maintained by the community and with the best intentions, nobody is certifying that a device will work and that it will not under certain circumstances cause damage (it shouldn't, one would hope, but an important distinction nonetheless).

Hi, Andrew.

OK, point taken - I wasn't really being serious :-)

Bye,

Tony.
ajtravis

Postby JohnR » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:19 pm

I am totally confused about the role taken by the two USB ports on the board and their USB3320 USB chips, U12 and U17.

My understanding is that at present it can be used for supplying power only. I'm not sure whether in future it may server a purpose beyond this and Fred or Andreas may be able to comment further.

Which port does the above refer to?

I was hoping to attach a USB keyboard and a USB mouse via a Staples USB non-powered hub to the board.

Can I do this? Which port do I connect the hub to?

If I don't use the hub can I connect the mouse to one USB connector the and keyboard to the other?

Thanks in advance

John.
JohnR

Postby yildizabdullah » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:06 pm

9600 wrote:
yildizabdullah wrote:I switched to a powered USB hub which is not certified by Parallella but it works. CR4 still does not work.

Regards,

Andrew

Sorry about the confusion. :)
yildizabdullah

Next

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A