Which USB hub - powered or not

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Re: Which USB hub - powered or not

Postby timpart » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:56 pm

JohnR wrote:I am totally confused about the role taken by the two USB ports on the board and their USB3320 USB chips, U12 and U17.

My understanding is that at present it can be used for supplying power only. I'm not sure whether in future it may server a purpose beyond this and Fred or Andreas may be able to comment further.

Which port does the above refer to?

I was hoping to attach a USB keyboard and a USB mouse via a Staples USB non-powered hub to the board.

Can I do this? Which port do I connect the hub to?

If I don't use the hub can I connect the mouse to one USB connector the and keyboard to the other?

The USB port that can only be used to supply power to the board is the one next to the barrel power connector. To use it you have to move a jumper. You can't plug a mouse or keyboard into it. It was originally intended to connect to a PC as well but doesn't work in that function.

The USB port opposite the power end of the board can take one USB device or a USB hub.

Tim
timpart

Postby JohnR » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Thanks timpart.

Maybe what you wrote could be added to one of the sets of instructions for setting up the Parallela as I am fairly (?) sure that there is no mention of this so far.

John.
JohnR

Postby timpart » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:13 am

JohnR wrote:Maybe what you wrote could be added to one of the sets of instructions for setting up the Parallela as I am fairly (?) sure that there is no mention of this so far.

Perhaps Adapteva could update the manual with a section on power supply options (including the mounting holes) and interfaces for the ordinary user. The manual currently quickly dives into an advanced discussion about PEC power. Also although USB 0 and 1 are mentioned in the manual text, they aren't numbered on the picture of the board.

Tim
timpart

Postby greytery » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:36 pm

FWIW, based on something that Fred said about tidying up the 'headless' build, the USB socket between the barrel and ethernet connectors is not likely to be used for data in the future, just for power.
FHuettig wrote:In fact as I look at the project I see that we still have TWO usb blocks instantiated even though we've never tried to get the second one working (the one by the ethernet connector). That should come out in all cases, I think
The USB ICs (both of them) have been removed from the Micro-server, but pictures of the Desktop and Embedded versions currently show the USB IC next to the connectors. My guess is that the IC will dissappear soon...

It seems that there were (even more) problems getting that USB socket to work properly. Imagine how many threads that would have generated .. :D

Cheers,
tery
greytery

Postby teekai » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:17 pm

I'm now just wonder did I buy these board just to see if they are powering up or what..LOL. My microSD card ran out of space after a sudo apt-get upgrade. I don't have any more space to install my Java. The USB doesn't work at all doesn't matter how/what combination I tried with several powered and nonpowered USB hub. DEAD END
teekai

Postby gceline » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:41 pm

Information about powering the board is at http://www.parallella.org/power-supply/
Graham
Adapteva
gceline

Previous

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A