parallella 64 core Q & A's

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Re: parallella 64 core Q & A's

Postby piotr5 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:40 pm

guess it's off-topic, but if fab changing design-specs is the only problem, why not find a fab which didn't or which has something close enough to avoid further millions of investitions? or maybe publish what you have and let other companies take the credits?

I think in this thread one fact hasn't been emphasized enough: currently future of parallella is unknown. would adapteva vanish, parallella would vanish too since it's (allegedly) using components (memory?) which aren't getting produced anymore. so even with all technical stuff going open source, nobody could build this thing without investing a lot more research into re-building the production-lines that are now gone. (see the parallella2.0 feedback-request thread.) have I described the situation accurately? in face of this problem, IMHO, epiphany4 and thereby parallella 64-core is of lesser priority for now...
piotr5

Postby BOBNINO » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

hi

andrew please elaborate more on the software infrastructure you have in mind ??
BOBNINO

Postby piotr5 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:46 am

I think he mainly meant the pal project. but I guess most subforums about software-projects are also about actual software-infrastructure -- once pal is ready. for example mpi or video-processing...
piotr5

Postby jqr » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this post but eagerly reading everything related to the evolution of the Parallella board.
Since there seems to be no possibility for building 64 core boards in the near future, are you aware of any projects that exploit the possibilities of interconnecting 16 core boards using e-link connectors in order to share the e-mesh and increase the number of cores and amount of shared memory?

I've seen posts about building Parallella clusters, but they mainly use fast internet to connect the boards, not e-links and e-mesh.
http://www.parallella.org/2014/06/03/my ... pare-time/
https://www.parallella.org/2013/01/18/a ... -new-lead/
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2278
http://www.adapteva.com/white-papers/bu ... f-cluster/

This gives some details details about e-link specs, but no real implementations references.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=328

Thank's for answering!

-- jqr --
jqr

Postby dobkeratops » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:24 am

Question, or Suggestion if the answer is no.

Do Adapteva make a 64core board available on the internet that interested parties could log into and benchmark applications?

e.g. one could develop code on the widely available 16core version, but also get a feel for how the same code performs on the 64core chip.
dobkeratops

Previous

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A