[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - parallella 64 core Q & A's

parallella 64 core Q & A's

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

parallella 64 core Q & A's

Postby BOBNINO » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:48 pm

how can i get hold of a parallella 64 core??
what's the speeds in gflops of parallella 64??

any plans to produce boards with more cores??
BOBNINO

Re: parallella 64 core Q & A's

Postby 9600 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Andrew Back

Postby xilman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:17 pm

xilman

Postby BOBNINO » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:20 pm

thanks

but you would think that they would produce them if there was demand for them, its a speed race and eventualy someone else would produce them if adeptiva dont i would think.

i also think adeptiva should produce an inclusive IDE like arduino did it makes life much easier and create's a community to write software libraries for it, as it stands its pull stuff from here and there to make something work if your lucky and all depending on linux which is sucks.

purely imbeded is much easier depending on C like all other micro controllers.

a cluster would be to large to go into a device as an imbedded board.
BOBNINO

Postby xilman » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:38 pm

xilman

Postby BOBNINO » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:50 pm

xilman i appreciate your funny reply but i bet you would want one as well so its not only me the market is huge for cutting edge technologies like that or even more powerful then a 64 core.

selling a 1000 unit would be easy i assume at a good affordable price, so you joke all you want the truth is there is a market out there for them and i am a buyer at the right price, simple as.
BOBNINO

Postby xilman » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:17 pm

xilman

Postby piotr5 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:50 pm

what makes you think there is a market for 64-core? the major reason I'd buy 4 parallellas for is to get the 4GB ram, not for the 64 cores! (I do maths with the computer, so data-size is more important to me than increasing speed of the actual calculations -- even though I don't do statistics.) also obviously the kickstarter campaign didn't sell enough 64-core products to unlock the stretch-goal -- if the market would really desire that, those more expensive products would have easily amassed that much. I have no knowledge about adapteva, maybe they didn't do the right announcements in the right areas of the multicore-market, but in my own opinion it is a correct decision to first focus on software-development and keeping alive the 16-core version. without software it really isn't surprising when demand for 64-core is low, there aren't many people who are capable of multi-core programming. what's worse, the market of 64-core computers is extremely volatile in the sense that only few people/companies are interested in obtaining such a product, and if they decide to they'll spend high amounts of money for that -- if a single of these customers would die or go broke, the manufacturer might go broke too. that's a bad buisness plan! a good buisness plan is alike to what video-cards do: now you can buy hundreds of cores, program them through mesa4 and whatever sdk, applications in games are easily found and therefore it's mainly gamers who buy them. gamers are a stable market, and IMHO parallella should slowly move into that direction too. alternatively I can see a future in the communication-market, a smart-phone with lots of cores has higher capabilities in understanding gestures and words of the user -- again an application best covered by any company which has decades of experience with video or audio processing, just like with games. adapteva has no experience in that direction, programmers of that kind is what's needed now...
piotr5

Postby BOBNINO » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:10 pm

HI

piotr5 you have a credible point ,the software is more important then hardware right now however producing a large number of cores with decent ram along with it would be cutting edge and the market is huge when you come to think of eliminating clusters and for parallel and concurrent programming in general, Dam %30 of our university modules in uni is about concurrent and parallel programming and yes i built super machines using gpu's before and know how important they are, what i am saying is the parallel board is almost like a GPGPU so can be used for many things if the cores are many and fast.

xilman i agree with you but a technology of this importance would get many investors involved, its the next generation thing if you know what i mean so adeptiva should either float(or sell to a bigger company) on the stock market and raise enough to make this technology serious or the end is near.!!
Attachments
20140206_215800__1426372250_2.97.136.215.jpg
what i had to do to build multicore GPU'S
20140206_215800__1426372250_2.97.136.215.jpg (41.44 KiB) Viewed 28060 times
BOBNINO

Postby 9600 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Andrew Back

Next

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A