Measuring Power Consumption on the Parallella

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Measuring Power Consumption on the Parallella

Postby dina1993 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:19 pm

how can i Measure Power Consumption on the Parallella 16 core ?
dina1993

Re: Measuring Power Consumption on the Parallella

Postby 6thimage » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:35 pm

You can measure the power consumption of the entire board by placing an ammeter across the J14 jumper header (which controls whether the power is from the barrel jack or the USB connector).

If you want to measure the power of the zynq, you can disable the epiphany's power supply (look at e-volt) - essentially turning it off.

If you want to measure the power of only the epiphany, then it is a lot more difficult. You can come up with an estimate, by measuring the boards power consumption with the epiphany enabled and disabled, but getting this to work is not likely to work that well (if at all). Alternatively, you can modify the board - R330 on page 16 of the board's schematic is a jumper (0 ohm resistor) in the epiphany's power supply, you could remove this and replace it with either a small value resistor (i.e. 0.01 ohms) and measure the voltage drop across it, or with wires going off the board to an ammeter. A low value resistor is probably the better bet, as it will not have any potential issues with voltage drop or noise.
6thimage

Re: Measuring Power Consumption on the Parallella

Postby Gusvinhal » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Hi!

I tried to measure the electric current but I could not. I removed jumper 14 and placed a multimeter in series: I placed one end in one pin and the other end in the middle pin. The board did not turn on. When I connected in parallel to measure the voltage, it turned on and I was able to measure.

What am I doing wrong? Can you help me?

Ps.: Sorry for posting on this old topic, but I did not want to create another topic with the same subject.

Thanks!
Gusvinhal

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A