[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - cooling and more memory?

cooling and more memory?

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Re: cooling and more memory?

Postby 9600 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:03 pm

If you like brand names, I used an with mine, but being very small and high output, it is quite noisy (and with the volume of air coming out of the sides of the enclosure you could almost dry your hair!) This is very clearly overkill and was just something I had in the workshop. One of the lower output 255 variants would probably be more than enough, else something of a similar size from another manufacturer.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby mranderso » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:38 pm

ubii, thanks for the link, that will definitely be useful.

Sundance, sorry I wasn't more emphatic about the obvious need for heat
sinks and fans. I was hoping to address that each board was a unique
snowflake. That someone might experience miraculous behavior, but not to
generalize and think that everyone's board might perform exactly the
same. And thanks for figuratively batting my hand away from the box's
lid. Friend from college was a Mechanical Engineer that used to model
cooling systems and design PC enclosures. Have heard much in the past
of the importance of keeping the box closed and allowed to function as
designed

Andreas, sorry for the scare. Sadly, I've not been adventurous enough to
hook all eight up at once into a working cluster without understanding
my cooling needs. Have only had one board powered on at a time. That,
and the fact the components arrived just before the distracting last
weekend of Carnival. Also, still waiting on additional components that
Amazon, in it's ignorance of boots on the ground reality, claimed would
be delivered on Mardi Gras day.

Andrew, thanks. Appreciate the experience based specific part
recommendation, otherwise I'll spend all day on Amazon in frozen in
indecision. Wish I had hair left that needed drying.
Mark
hobbyist
mranderso

Postby Calle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:13 pm

I haven't received my boards yet (but they are on their way!), but I have been considering maybe getting a larger heatsink that would cover the Zynq, the Epiphany and maybe a bit of the RAM chip. The greater surface area would give more heat dissipation (I hope).

I wouldn't want the heatsink to stick out over the edges of the board and not be too high, since I still want to stack four Parallellas on top of each other.

Any thoughts or comments on this? Would a larger heatsink be in the way of anything (connectors etc)? Any other reason it wouldn't work?
Calle

Postby 9600 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:36 pm

Andrew Back

Postby shodruk » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:42 pm

I think the Zynq will heat the Epiphany. :lol:
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby ubii » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:01 pm

Attachments
ParallellaTopView31-B.jpg
ParallellaTopView31-B.jpg (97 KiB) Viewed 18536 times
ubii

Postby Calle » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:53 am

Calle

Postby JohnR » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:18 pm

JohnR

Postby Calle » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:36 pm

It would? What kind of tool would be needed to machine such a notch in a heatsink?
Calle

Postby JohnR » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:10 pm

JohnR

PreviousNext

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A