[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Show your Parallella!!

Show your Parallella!!

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Re: Show your Parallella!!

Postby 9600 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:09 am

@optimaler very cool! Have you seen the 3D printed 8x board ?

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby greytery » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 am

Pretty Cool - and pretty to boot!!

Just curious - but are ALL the boards of the cluster shown in the picture equally cooled? That is, are they all showing the same temps under load.
There are sometimes 'dead air' spots just in front of the fan motors.
Probably nothing in it ... maybe a degree here and there.
Anyway, there would be a lot of air turbulence over the chips, so it would get mushy. Just fishing.

When I get my two boards set up (pre-order #3376 and falling ...), there will be just the one fan - and I would be trying to aim it for optimum/equal cooling.

tery
tery
greytery

Postby optimaler » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:09 am

@9600 I hadn't seen it, although the design worries me a bit; 120 MM is a bit short to span all the heatsinks

@greytery I haven't been able to test the temperatures sufficiently beyond waving my hand in front of it to get an idea, but it is something I am concerned about. Since I took that photo, I added some extra standoffs at the base because I was worried the air was more stagnant around the bottom layer. Part of me feels like longer standoffs would be beneficial in this instance, but until I have actual numbers I won't be able to tell.
optimaler

Postby greytery » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:42 am

@optimaler - thanks for staying awake long enough to post the temperature graphs @ . :P

Comparing the timestamps of your posts :geek: it looks like it was a long night!

tery
tery
greytery

Postby greytery » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:41 am

@9600

Andrew,

Do you have any heat profile data for the combined case and cooling kit ?
As shown here: http://shop.abopen.com/products/paralle ... ooling-kit
and pictured here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=838&start=30#p6906

Seems that it should be fairly effective.

tery
tery
greytery

Postby 9600 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:25 pm

Andrew Back

Postby greytery » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:55 pm

@9600
Thanks Andrew - I thought/knew you would have done that.

Shows data as good as @optimaler's Arctic silver results - which says a lot!

I don't want this to get into one of those "I'm cooler than you, sweaty pants!" forum wars, but I do expect to follow this up when I get that email about my shipment :)

tery
tery
greytery

Postby 9600 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:19 am

Andrew Back

Postby greytery » Fri May 02, 2014 10:40 am

tery
greytery

Postby jayhurley » Mon May 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Having read the forum while I was waiting on DHL for 17 days to deliver to Hong Kong - I was getting nervous. All these posts about boards that won't start up, power issues, SD cards to small for the image, overheating, etc.

But it all connected up easily and SanDisk 16Gb micro SD was fine for the OS.
parallella.jpg
parallella.jpg (74.54 KiB) Viewed 46656 times

And my powerstrip says it is only using 0.38A (USB8) - the fan is 1A which is keeping it at 55C.
power.png
power.png (27.77 KiB) Viewed 46656 times

And I got VNC setup on my Mac using tightvncserver.

I'm looking forward to seeing what people are going to do with theirs.
jayhurley

PreviousNext

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A