[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Integrating with Raspberry Pi?

Integrating with Raspberry Pi?

Any technical questions about the Epiphany chip and Parallella HW Platform.

Moderator: aolofsson

Integrating with Raspberry Pi?

Postby SimplicityGuy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:35 am

When the Parallella Boards ship, will they be standalone or a daughter type card? I'm wondering how the Parallella Board can be used to offload processing from a Raspberry Pi, especially for OpenCL usage since the Raspberry Pi does not have an OpenCL implementation.
SimplicityGuy

Re: Integrating with Raspberry Pi?

Postby 9600 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:31 am

They will be standalone boards complete with a dual-core ARM processor as a host which alone is more powerful than the Raspberry Pi, with double the RAM and faster Ethernet too. As such I'm not sure it would make much sense to try and interface the two boards, although there could be some use cases I have not thought of.
Andrew Back

Postby piotr5 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:00 pm

well, I guess it would be good promotion if the chip could run on the Raspberry Pi. recently they added a webcam to it, and I'm afraid the things that can be done with the video-data are very limited without the help of Epiphany. I think Parallella-engineers should at least have a talk with the Raspberry Pi engineers -- afterall the goals are not that much apart...
piotr5

Postby 9600 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Andrew Back

Postby Veqtor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:48 pm

The parallella could probably work well on its own for robotics and such. The platform is powerful enough for a rasperry pi to make a small difference. Put another parallella on there instead! :D

The new capri sensor from primesense could be cool to use with the parallella for robotics. It's like the kinect sensor but a lot more compact.
http://www.primesense.com/news/you-asked-for-it/

Enter super-intelligent small quadrotor swarms!
Veqtor

Postby 9600 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:47 pm

Andrew Back

Postby hamster » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:00 am

FWIW I've had a cheap OV7670 camera running with my Zedboard (also Zynq based) - 640x480@30FPs for $12 + plus a few wires.

See http://hamsterworks.co.nz/mediawiki/ind ... ard_OV7670 if you want the details....
hamster

Postby Folknology » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks for that @hamster, I also have one of those cameras kicking around and will definitely have a play when my boards arrives as I need to do some basic image recognition.

regards
Al
Folknology

Return to Epiphany and Parallella Q & A