uclinux

uclinux

Postby ed2k » Fri May 10, 2013 4:10 am

anyone thought of running linux on epiphany?
besides it is challenging, what do you think of the reason. What is the advantage.
ed2k

Re: uclinux

Postby Gravis » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:03 pm

ed2k wrote:anyone thought of running linux on epiphany?
besides it is challenging, what do you think of the reason. What is the advantage.

linux requires megabytes of memory and the epiphany chips dont have a native memory interface. you can make an interface via software but it seems like a waste because you could be using multiple cores and not making any use of FPU aspect which is the big selling point. now, if there are cores to spare in the future (64 cores might work but 1024 cores would rock) then it seems like it could hold up well. for right now, it's better to have a SoC do the OS work and use epiphany as a coprocessor.
the advantage would be having everything on a single chip (save RAM) and have a boatload of FPUs on the same silicon which would save communication time between the program and the FPU(s). though, one would hope that with 1024 cores, there would be space enough on the IC for a native memory interface.
Gravis

Postby ed2k » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Gravis wrote:linux requires megabytes of memory and the epiphany chips dont have a native memory interface.

epiphany can address external RAM directly. Although the speed is very slow. if the internal memory is treated like cache, it would have the same architecture, there is no need to run linux directly on cpu cache.

the other good thing I see from uclinux is its compact flat file format, maybe it is more suitable to use in epiphancy.
ed2k

Postby Gravis » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:33 am

ed2k wrote:
Gravis wrote:linux requires megabytes of memory and the epiphany chips dont have a native memory interface.

epiphany can address external RAM directly. Although the speed is very slow. if the internal memory is treated like cache, it would have the same architecture, there is no need to run linux directly on cpu cache.

i didnt mean to imply that it should be run completely internally, just that it couldnt be so external memory is needed. i dont dispute anything you stated, i'm simply saying that i think it would be a waste of cores (specifically the FPU section) to use several several cores (parallelism makes everything* faster!) to perform repetitive integer applications like memory management when there arent a whole lot of cores to start with.

* everything includes all things with some exceptions <-- damn marketing for being allowed to do this. "unlimited up to 5GB" comes to mind. -_-
Gravis

Return to Epiphany Operating System