JeOS for Epiphany

JeOS for Epiphany

Postby Gravis » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:49 pm

JeOS (Just Enough Operating System) seems like a good pattern for implementing an OS on Epiphany. If you think it's not possible to make a complete OS in 32KB, meet BareMetal OS which is a full OS for x86_64 that fits in 8KB. Assembly is the way to go for an OS of this small size.

However, to make this work properly, the Epiphany must be able to run independently. this means making a modified FPGA bitstream that will enable the Epiphany to work as such. i've made a request for someone to make one for the Parallella but i suspect it will go on ignored.
Gravis

Re: JeOS for Epiphany

Postby 9600 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Gravis wrote:However, to make this work properly, the Epiphany must be able to run independently. this means making a modified FPGA bitstream that will enable the Epiphany to work as such. i've made a request for someone to make one for the Parallella but i suspect it will go on ignored.

s/ignored/prioritised :)

While certainly an interesting idea, this is clearly very much a niche use case and, of course, you do have access to the HDL sources and are at liberty to roll your own bitstream.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby Gravis » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:34 pm

9600 wrote:you do have access to the HDL sources and are at liberty to roll your own bitstream.

absolutely... if only the xilinx tools didnt suck. vhdl is tricky at first but the shitty xilinx tools are so bad they are a show stopper.
Gravis

Postby 9600 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 am

Gravis wrote:
9600 wrote:absolutely... if only the xilinx tools didnt suck. vhdl is tricky at first but the shitty xilinx tools are so bad they are a show stopper.

The platform HDL is Verilog :D

Also, I've seen makefiles used with the Altera tools and I believe you can use them with Xilinx ISE too. So it seems you can at least escape the IDE...

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Return to Epiphany Operating System