[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Two-Parallella Cluster using eLink and Procupine

Two-Parallella Cluster using eLink and Procupine

Two-Parallella Cluster using eLink and Procupine

Postby claudio4parallella » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi all,

just to get in touch with everybody interested of the present topic.

I've realized a MPMD set of programs in order to manage on a single Parallella Board the 16 Cores, in a one by one way with input data and output data and synchronizing, starting and stopping all of them individually.
The same model of MPMD I've realized using two Parallella in Cluster using eLink and Porcupine boards via flat cable.
I can individually start, stop, get input and get output to and from each one of the 32 Cores.

The difference is :

- using a single Parallella Board, it's the Host program that may and must manage the 16 Cores directly, having direct access to all the RAMs, inside Epiphany and so within each Core range of memory address, too ;

- using a two Parallella Cluster (Master-Slave), it's one of the local Core's program of the Master Parallella that is in charge as Master-Core of driving all the 32 Cores (16 of them local and 16 of them on the eLinked board) having direct access to both the Epiphany Cores and RAM absolute address (0x908xxxxxxx and 0x808xxxxxxxxx).
The Host program on the Master Parallella could not have access to the Epiphany/Cores of the eLinked Parallella.
Only the Loader could have access to load the individual .elf (or .srec) executable program to the 32 Cores, even if on the Slave the set-up and running of the Epiphany must be ready to receive the Master commands. (I'm using the Interrupts-connected example of Parallel System Lab - Aviv Burshtein).

I'm available to show codes and examples of both my experiments, if necessary.

Thanks for any comment or different considerations from what I've understood.

My best to all of you
claudio4parallella

Re: Two-Parallella Cluster using eLink and Procupine

Postby jar » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:50 pm

A few people have struggled through what you have done over the past couple years. It would benefit the community to document the steps you took to configure the boards. My understanding is that you had to use the 2015.1 image?

One feature of COPRTHR-2 is having Epiphany core #0 initiating the work across all other epiphany cores. It actually launches programs in logarithmic time as the configured cores then configure and launch on the remaining cores.
jar

Postby claudio4parallella » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:04 pm

claudio4parallella

Postby jar » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:41 pm

You can always replicate logarithmic time launcher in COPRTHR-2 if you want. It was documented in the paper "Advances in Run-Time Performance and Interoperability for the Adapteva Epiphany Coprocessor": https://arxiv.org/abs/1604.04207

COPRTHR-2 almost certainly won't do it automatically for your dual-Parallella setup. There are hard-coded base addresses as it's configured for the single E3 on a Parallella.
jar

Re: Two-Parallella Cluster using eLink and Porcupine

Postby claudio4parallella » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:01 am

Attachments
Parallela-eLink.jpeg
eLink two Parallela Image System
Parallela-eLink.jpeg (135 KiB) Viewed 59757 times
claudio4parallella

Postby jar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:53 pm

This is a high quality writeup. Good job!
jar

Postby claudio4parallella » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:25 pm

UPDATE

- I've closed my open issue about interrupt, now tests work properly and I can manage them

- About my 2Parallells eLink cluster, if I have well understood: the SLAVE Parallela must run its Host and its Device core program and without this running the MASTER Parallella could not load the tasks to the SLAVE Epiphany cores..... (hope my English is clear...). No way to upload the device tasks to the SLAVE Epiphany from the MASTER Host....

Thanks for comments
claudio4parallella

Postby claudio4parallella » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:53 pm

Here are my terminal screen of the eLink 2-Parallellas/Porcupine

SLAVE showing in a loop the local 16 Cores and Registers

MASTER showing in a loop the 32 Cores output, the total of output, the core-done counters

The 32 Cores are activated in sequence: core00 when reach 10000000 activate core01 and so on...... up to core73
Attachments
Master.png
Master Parallella shows the 32 Cores
Master.png (112.06 KiB) Viewed 59709 times
Slave.png
Slave Parallella shows only local Cores
Slave.png (93.83 KiB) Viewed 59709 times
claudio4parallella

Postby claudio4parallella » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:43 am

Proof of concept results of two eLinked Parallellas in cluster (Master-Slave)

Purpose: realize synchronization between multicores in eLink cluster with individual tasks

Lesson learned:
- core 0 of MASTER parallella must be used to read/write/synchronize all the cores in Master Epiphany and Slave Epiphany
- internal.ldf works ok, not other choice

Attachments of resulting images:
1. example of a single Parallella: the 16 cores individually are drawing a 1024 step of Y=sin(alpha) [0..2Pi]
2. example of a dual eLinked Parallellas: the 31 cores individually are drawing a 1024 step of Y=sin(2*alpha) [0..2Pi]

Next step: 4 eLinked Parallellas and 64 cores
Attachments
core31.png
2 Parallellas 32 cores
core31.png (40.58 KiB) Viewed 59646 times
core16.png
One Parallella 16 cores
core16.png (17.95 KiB) Viewed 59646 times
claudio4parallella

Postby claudio4parallella » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Wow! I found a Zynk7020 Parallella !
In the meantime the new board will arrive....
and my eLink cluster will become a full 64 cores machine
here attached is the 48 cores single kernel-by-core Proof of Concept
Attachments
png.png
png.png (48.59 KiB) Viewed 59390 times
claudio4parallella

Next

Return to Clustering