OpenGL ES 2.0 for Parallella with RPi

Re: OpenGL ES 2.0 for Parallella with RPi

Postby 9600 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:54 pm

shodruk wrote:(Caution: weird video.... :lol: )

No kidding! :D (but good fun!)

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back (a.k.a. 9600 / carrierdetect)

Postby LamsonNguyen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:40 am

What made you go with camels?
LamsonNguyen

Postby Morgaine » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:13 am

shodruk wrote:I wrote a small framework that enables Parallella to use OpenGL ES 2.0.

Your program is running beautifully between one of my x86 Linux boxes and my Pi Model B, and also between a BeagleBone Black running Debian and the Pi. Very impressive!

I don't have a joystick so the sample2 camel wasn't feeling very mobile, but I'll find some way of providing input. :-)

A networked graphics output like this without X11 could be really useful for many different kinds of application that want independence from desktops. And combining it with the networked mouse and keyboard from Synergy would provide a full networked graphics terminal.

I like it! :-)
Morgaine

Postby shodruk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:44 pm

9600 wrote:No kidding! :D (but good fun!)

You will see the camels in a dream. :lol:

LamsonNguyen wrote:What made you go with camels?

I was looking for free 3D models, then I found the lovely camel at opengameart.org.

http://opengameart.org/content/camel

Morgaine wrote:Your program is running beautifully between one of my x86 Linux boxes and my Pi Model B, and also between a BeagleBone Black running Debian and the Pi. Very impressive!

I don't have a joystick so the sample2 camel wasn't feeling very mobile, but I'll find some way of providing input. :-)

A networked graphics output like this without X11 could be really useful for many different kinds of application that want independence from desktops. And combining it with the networked mouse and keyboard from Synergy would provide a full networked graphics terminal.

I like it! :-)

Thanks!
Beagle Bone Black is nice too, but I don't have it yet.
I want to port the gl_server to BBB someday.
I didn't know about Synergy, but it is very interesting.
I think it will be nice to use RPi as an input-client like this.

Keyboard, Mouse --usb-- RPi --Ethernet-- Parallella
HDMI Monitor --------------|

RPi --Input event--> Parallella --Opengl commands--> RPi --Graphics--> HDMI Monitor

Also I want to stream audio data from Parallella to RPi.
These are my next objective.
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby Morgaine » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:30 pm

shodruk wrote:I want to port the gl_server to BBB someday.

It's horses for courses, really. The BBB is far superior to Pi for many engineering purposes (CPU, networking, interfacing, realtime), but it's worse than Pi for media and graphics handling because the Pi's BCM2835 is primarily a media engine and DSP with just a little old ARM tucked in a corner. Combining the best features of both to avoid their respective weaknesses is great engineering, and so your approach of harnessing the Pi's good graphics ability is very appropriate. Let the Pi do what it's best at, and leave all the rest to BBB. (Exactly the same applies when Pi is used with Parallella.)

Also I want to stream audio data from Parallella to RPi. These are my next objective.

Two questions about how this could be employed in the future:

• How do you currently capture the Pi's display output as video for presentation?
  • If the OpenGL ES 2.0 output is captured at the client before being sent out the network interface, can it be displayed locally in an X11 window where one is using full OpenGL (nVidia's in my case)?
I like this line of development, and think it has great potential.
Morgaine

Postby shodruk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:41 am

Morgaine wrote:It's horses for courses, really. The BBB is far superior to Pi for many engineering purposes (CPU, networking, interfacing, realtime), but it's worse than Pi for media and graphics handling because the Pi's BCM2835 is primarily a media engine and DSP with just a little old ARM tucked in a corner. Combining the best features of both to avoid their respective weaknesses is great engineering, and so your approach of harnessing the Pi's good graphics ability is very appropriate. Let the Pi do what it's best at, and leave all the rest to BBB. (Exactly the same applies when Pi is used with Parallella.)

Thanks for the advice.
Certainly RPi's media processing function is curiously powerful in comparison with its CPU. ;)

Morgaine wrote:How do you currently capture the Pi's display output as video for presentation?

I used a HDMI video capture card on a PC.
Because my capture card doesn't support linux, I used another Windows PC like this.

Linux PC(gl_client) ---Ethernet---> RPi(gl_server) ---HDMI---> Windows PC(HDMI capture)

Morgaine wrote:If the OpenGL ES 2.0 output is captured at the client before being sent out the network interface, can it be displayed locally in an X11 window where one is using full OpenGL (nVidia's in my case)?

It seems that "Blackmagic Intensity pro" can do that, but it's a little expensive...

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/techspecs

http://youtu.be/MixfhLaxnBg

I think that is very useful for developing embedded software. I want it.

Morgaine wrote:I like this line of development, and think it has great potential.

Thanks again. I'm glad you like this. :D
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby shodruk » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:06 pm

gl-streaming runs on Parallella with no modification!
Parallella got GPU acceleration!! :D

http://youtu.be/-lCWlu1EnsM
Shodruky
shodruk

Postby aolofsson » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:56 pm

shodruk, I am speechless...just incredible!! :D :D :D
Andreas
aolofsson

Postby shodruk » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Thank you! but, you praise me too much, but, I'm happy!! :D