Page 5 of 5

Re: OpenGL ES 2.0 for Parallella with RPi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:33 am
by 9600
shodruk wrote:But I'm busy for now to build my new project for Parallella. ;)


Oh? :D

Re: OpenGL ES 2.0 for Parallella with RPi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:38 am
by shodruk
9600 wrote:
shodruk wrote:But I'm busy for now to build my new project for Parallella. ;)


Oh? :D


Just a software demo.
I'll upload a new video soon. :)

Re: OpenGL ES 2.0 for Parallella with RPi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:45 am
by shodruk
TrikingSheep wrote:
shodruk wrote:I ordered Odroid U3 too. :)


Hi Shodruk,

Have yo got your U3? and have you managed to get it to work with OpenGL ES 2.0?

Do we need to start a new thread for the U3?


Kind Regards,


Julian.


I'm porting gl-streaming to Odroid-U3, but it needs a lot of modification and I have weird bugs for now. I need more time.

Re: OpenGL ES 2.0 for Parallella with RPi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:03 pm
by Morgaine
Now that there's a Parallella Micro-Server optimized for headless operation in the product catalogue, I think shodruk's gl_streaming is more appropriate than ever.

I'm looking forward to using this solution once RS starts stocking the Micro-Server. It represents very good factoring of functionality to let each board do what it's best at, and Epiphany will excel at computational tasks. The Micro-Server model delivers the most Epiphany for the buck, so this model of Parallella is perfect when that's one's primary interest.

Morgaine.

Re: OpenGL ES 2.0 for Parallella with RPi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:09 pm
by shodruk
Morgaine wrote:Now that there's a Parallella Micro-Server optimized for headless operation in the product catalogue, I think shodruk's gl_streaming is more appropriate than ever.

I'm looking forward to using this solution once RS starts stocking the Micro-Server. It represents very good factoring of functionality to let each board do what it's best at, and Epiphany will excel at computational tasks. The Micro-Server model delivers the most Epiphany for the buck, so this model of Parallella is perfect when that's one's primary interest.

Morgaine.


That will be nice! RPi B+ also has 4 usb ports and 40pin GPIO... :)

Re: OpenGL ES 2.0 for Parallella with RPi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:48 am
by Morgaine
shodruk wrote:That will be nice! RPi B+ also has 4 usb ports and 40pin GPIO... :)


In the originally described model of operation, the keyboard and mouse were connected to Parallella directly (not to the Pi) in order to allow these inputs to control graphic clients running on Parallella. As a result, the only thing running over the Pi's USB would normally have been the OpenGL ES 2.0 traffic from Parallella routed through the Pi's USB network device (LAN9512 on model B and LAN9514 on model B+).

This pure network traffic over Pi's USB and specifically the lack of mixed HID traffic is actually a great benefit to the Pi's half-baked USB implementation, which has severe failure modes under certain conditions involving USB's split transactions that have been discussed at length by RPF developers.

It would appear to be a well matched combination, harnessing the Pi's good graphics while avoiding its known USB problems, and giving Parallella the GPU that it lacks natively.

In the context of Parallella's new product models, that would require at least the "Desktop Computer" model of Parallella in order to handle USB keyboard and mouse. With a Micro-Server, the Parallella has no USB hardware so a different arrangement will be required, probably using the Pi or some other machine to send HID commands to Parallella over the network --- I've mentioned Synergy for this before.

Using Pi for HID could introduce problems for reasons mentioned above, so I may end up using a BeagleBone Black or an A10-OLinuXino-LIME to handle the HID devices and deliver user input to Parallella over the LAN. We'll have to see how it goes. (I haven't tested the LIME's OpenGL ES 2.0 yet, but that's worth a try as well.)

Morgaine.