DPLL(sat solver)

Generic algorithms that could be implemented in almost any language, e.g. matrix operations and FFT.

DPLL(sat solver)

Postby CIB » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:28 am

DPLL lends itself to implementation on the parallella since it uses relatively little memory and can be easily distributed(for each "decision", just run both guesses in parallel).

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DPLL_algorithm

Data structures: A formula(a vector of clauses, which are themselves vectors of literals). A decision stack. For each literal, an integer representing the decision level at which the value for the literal was chosen(for fast backtracking). A few others I probably forgot to think of. All in all, with 16KB of memory, we're probably limited to around 100 literals. 100 literal problems are still huge, so this is not too much of a problem.

How do we distribute? We simply let the DPLL algorithm run on the ARM core and "collect" sub-problems in a queue. To keep track of what each sub-problem means, we build a sort of binary tree. Once the length of our queue exceeds the # of cores, we stop the algorithm on the ARM core until results from the epiphany come in. We apply the results to our binary tree. If the queue ever becomes too small, we continue our algorithm on the ARM core.

We could use the same distribution method to run a DPLL algorithm on a cluster of parallella's. But we would still be restricted to 100 literal problems, for which a single parallella is probably enough. More interesting would be a higher level SAT solver with complex heuristics that runs on a 1000 variable problem, and uses a bunch of parallellas to quickly "try" many many smaller problems.

Thoughts? Suggestions for improvements? My next step will probably be to design the ARM-side scheduler, then to start on my own malloc-free DPLL implementation.
CIB

Re: DPLL(sat solver)

Postby CIB » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Here's some diagrams to explain the decision binary tree:

We create this binary tree with the ARM processor. Each node contains a full copy of the formula to solve. Each edge/transition represents a decision of true or false for literal x_i. "leaf nodes" can be executed on the epiphany cores. The epiphany core will give us true(green) or false(red).

We can propagate "false" results back. For a node n, if all of its children are false, then n is false also. If the root node ever becomes false, we know the formula is not satisfiable.

If we ever manage to assign the last variable, and the formula doesn't become false, then the formula is satisfiable, and we can abort the algorithm. So if an epiphany core ever returns "true", we can abort the search.

CIB

Return to Algorithms