[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Is there a trick to building HDMI-capable kernels??

Is there a trick to building HDMI-capable kernels??

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Is there a trick to building HDMI-capable kernels??

Postby JoshuaPK » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Hello,

I am trying to build a kernel that enables HDMI as well as CGROUPS. So far, no luck. At this point I don't have any serial hardware so I can't see what the board is doing under the covers.

I've followed the instructions on as well as and . I've tried this with both the parallella-linux and parallella-linux-adi GIT repositories. I've also built the HDMI deivce tree in each circumstance. None of the kernels will produce HDMI output. What am I missing?

Thanks!
-JK
JoshuaPK

Re: Is there a trick to building HDMI-capable kernels??

Postby tincman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:54 pm

What did you use for your bitstream (parallella.bit.bin)? The newer releases of the stack haven't built HDMI enabled versions of this yet.

There was also a small bug that caused boot to hang waiting for a serial connection. This was fixed in the newer kernel (but could have been bitstream related too). If your using an older bitstream for HDMI, you'll likely want to disable the serial console in your device tree before compiling (I can post something more detailed once I'm not on my phone)
tincman

Postby JoshuaPK » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:04 am

Thanks for the reply, tincman.

I am using the parallella.bit.bin from the original (Linaro/Ubuntu) distro.

How do I disable the serial console in the device tree? I have edited the zynq-parallella1-hdmi.dts file. Specifically, in the "chosen" stanza, I commented out (using //) this line:

linux,stdout-path = "/amba@0/serial@e0001000";

Recompiled the device tree, copied it to the SD card, and... still no HDMI. It's worth noting that if I take the "official" Linaro distro, and replace its kernel with one I built, there's no HDMI (where there was before).
JoshuaPK

Postby JoshuaPK » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:59 pm

So as it turns out, the monitor I was using before did not like the HDMI mode that the newly-compiled kernel was trying to set. I got a new monitor... and lo and behold, it boots! So now we have a Redhat Enterprise Linux 7 clone working on Parallella. Well, it kind of works... there's no USB keyboard for whatever reason. But the HDMI works fine.
JoshuaPK

Return to Linux/U-Boot