Parabuntu 18.04

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Parabuntu 18.04

Postby ajtravis » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:19 pm

If you're not aware of it, please have a look at the discussion about Parabuntu 18.04 at:

https://github.com/parallella/parabuntu/issues/19

I've just posted a comment about the USB PHY initialisation.

@xuminready: I believe one reason that Parallella has failed to become an equivalent to the Raspberry-Pi for parallel computing is that its USB PHY does not initialise reliably despite many people, including Adapteva, trying to find out the reason why. I would prioritise re-writing the USB PHY initialisation when you rebuild the FPGA code to make sure that the USB PHY is set up correctly. Adapteva have denied there is a USB issue and recommend the use of specific USB cables and powered hubs to initialise the USB PHY properly. However, in my tests and those of other people using exactly the PSU, powered hub and OTG cable the USB seldom initialises. This makes it very difficult to use the Parallella as a 'desktop' computer with a USB keyboard+mouse. I know it can be used with a serial connection to the UART or SSH if networked, but the USB is there for a reason, as it is on the raspberry Pi: To use the SBC with a USB keyboard+mouse.


Please help us to prevent Parallella fading to black!

Thanks,

Tony.
Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
User avatar
ajtravis
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:54 pm
Location: Scotland (UK)

Re: Parabuntu 18.04

Postby heymanj » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:43 pm

Any updated status on this?
My original disk image got corrupted, downloaded 15.04, but vncserver is not available.
I tried to build x11vnc, but finding that the 15.04 repos are gone :-(

Code: Select all
parallella@parallella:/usr/include$ sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libssl-doc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libssl-dev libssl-doc
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1891 kB of archives.
After this operation, 5863 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Err http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ vivid-updates/main libssl-dev armhf 1.0.1f-1ubuntu11.5
  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.150 80]
Err http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ vivid-updates/main libssl-doc all 1.0.1f-1ubuntu11.5
  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.150 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl-dev_1.0.1f-1ubuntu11.5_armhf.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.150 80]

E: Failed to fetch http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl-doc_1.0.1f-1ubuntu11.5_all.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.150 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl-dev_1.0.1f-1ubuntu11.5_armhf.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.150 80]

E: Failed to fetch http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl-doc_1.0.1f-1ubuntu11.5_all.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.150 80]

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
parallella@parallella:/usr/include$
User avatar
heymanj
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:27 am

Re: Parabuntu 18.04

Postby ajtravis » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:13 pm

heymanj wrote:Any updated status on this?
My original disk image got corrupted, downloaded 15.04, but vncserver is not available.
I tried to build x11vnc, but finding that the 15.04 repos are gone :-(
[...]
[/code]


Hi, heyman.

I've been busy trying to find out why the USB _still_ doesn't work reliably...

The armhf port of "vivid" 15.04 is still available at: http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/vivid/

Not sure if that will help you, but it might be worth a try!

Bye,

Tony.
Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
User avatar
ajtravis
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:54 pm
Location: Scotland (UK)

Re: Parabuntu 18.04

Postby heymanj » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:48 pm

Thanks Tony!
Will add that repo to the appropriate files and see what I can download.
I wish you luck on solving the USB issue so that we can move to a more modern version of Ubuntu

jerry
User avatar
heymanj
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:27 am

Re: Parabuntu 18.04

Postby heymanj » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:28 pm

heymanj wrote:Thanks Tony!
Will add that repo to the appropriate files and see what I can download.
I wish you luck on solving the USB issue so that we can move to a more modern version of Ubuntu

jerry


Unfortunately, that site only contains the Package.gz files - which are pointers to the locations, not the actual binaries.
No luck trying to get vnc4server :-(

jerry
User avatar
heymanj
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:27 am

Re: Parabuntu 18.04

Postby ajtravis » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:21 am

heymanj wrote:
heymanj wrote:Thanks Tony!
Will add that repo to the appropriate files and see what I can download.
I wish you luck on solving the USB issue so that we can move to a more modern version of Ubuntu

jerry


Unfortunately, that site only contains the Package.gz files - which are pointers to the locations, not the actual binaries.
No luck trying to get vnc4server :-(

jerry


Hi, Jerry.

It's an APT deb repository, so you will find the packages in 'pool' e.g.:

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/v/vnc/

Unfortunately, the binary packages are not there for armhf, but you could build it from the sources...

HTH,

Tony.
Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
User avatar
ajtravis
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:54 pm
Location: Scotland (UK)

Re: Parabuntu 18.04

Postby heymanj » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:41 pm

ajtravis wrote:
heymanj wrote:
heymanj wrote:Thanks Tony!
Will add that repo to the appropriate files and see what I can download.
I wish you luck on solving the USB issue so that we can move to a more modern version of Ubuntu

jerry


Unfortunately, that site only contains the Package.gz files - which are pointers to the locations, not the actual binaries.
No luck trying to get vnc4server :-(

jerry


Hi, Jerry.

It's an APT deb repository, so you will find the packages in 'pool' e.g.:

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/v/vnc/

Unfortunately, the binary packages are not there for armhf, but you could build it from the sources...

HTH,

Tony.


Tony,

That did it!
Able to download x11vnc and I'm off to the races.
Many thanks again.

jerry
User avatar
heymanj
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:27 am


Return to Linux/U-Boot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron