parallella_defconfig

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

parallella_defconfig

Postby ajtravis » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:19 am

Hi,

I noticed that USB storage does not work on the 'new' headless kernel that I downloaded from ftp://ftp.parallella.org/ubuntu/dists/trusty/image/ubuntu-14.04-headless-z7010-20150130.1.img.gz, so I decided to cross-compile the kernel on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS laptop "beluga" like this:

Code: Select all
root@beluga:/usr/local/src/Parallella/parallella-linux#

# install host Linux pre-requisites
aptitude install build-essential git curl m4 flex bison gawk

# install ARM cross compiler tools
aptitude install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf g++-arm-linux-gnueabihf u-boot-tools

# Clone the Parallella linux repository
git clone https://github.com/parallella/parallella-linux

cd parallella-linux

# cross-compiler target
export ARCH=arm
export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-

# create .config
make ARCH=arm parallella_defconfig

# customise the kernel (if necessary)
make ARCH=arm menuconfig

# save updated defconfig
make ARCH=arm savedefconfig

# compile the kernel
make ARCH=arm LOADADDR=0x8000 uImage

# copy kernel to SD card (mounted on /media/ajt when inserted)
mv -i /media/ajt/BOOT/uImage /media/ajt/BOOT/uImage.old
cp -ai arch/arm/boot/uImage /media/ajt/BOOT
umount /media/ajt/BOOT
umount /media/ajt/rootfs
sync;sync

# insert card in Parallella and boot
root@parallella:~# uname -a
Linux parallella 3.14.12-parallella-xilinx-g7a0dc64-dirty #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 2 00:54:39 BST 2015 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

USB storage did not work using the kernel I compiled and the ".config" produced was identical to "/proc/config.gz" on the pre-compiled kernel I downloaded.

I expected the minimal "defconfig" file that I created to be the same as "arch/arm/configs/parallella_defconfig", but it was quite different. I checked that compiling a kernel using the architecture default produced a defconfig that was identical to "arch/arm/configs/versatile_defconfig", which it was.

So, I used "make menuconfig" and edited the ".config" file produced when I first compiled the kernel to include everything in "parallella_defconfig" and saved the new defconfig as "arch/arm/configs/parallella_defconfig". My modified "parallella_defconfig" generates an identical "defconfig" after compiling the kernel and saving the minimal "defconfig" file.

The diff file attached shows my changes to the current git version - Note the problem was caused by "CONFIG_SCSI=y" commented out in the git trunk version:

Code: Select all
root@beluga:/usr/local/src/Parallella/parallella-linux# git diff -p arch/arm/configs/parallella_defconfig >parallella_defconfig.patch
root@beluga:/usr/local/src/Parallella/parallella-linux# cat parallella_defconfig.patch
-#CONFIG_SCSI=y
+CONFIG_SCSI=y

HTH,

Tony.
Attachments
parallella_defconfig.gz
Patch against trunk of updated "arch/arm/configs/parallella_defconfig" with working USB storage
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 911 times
parallella_defconfig.patch.gz
Complete "arch/arm/configs/parallella_defconfig"
(2.43 KiB) Downloaded 917 times
Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Re: parallella_defconfig

Postby davewr2015 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:57 am

I was looking at the USB system and noticed that the drivers for USB sticks and Attached USB drives were showing "no driver" -- so I agree that this is an issue.

To me it makes no sense to compile this version without the scsi driver for USB and USB attached hard drives.
davewr2015

Re: parallella_defconfig

Postby ajtravis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:36 am

davewr2015 wrote:I was looking at the USB system and noticed that the drivers for USB sticks and Attached USB drives were showing "no driver" -- so I agree that this is an issue.

To me it makes no sense to compile this version without the scsi driver for USB and USB attached hard drives.

Hi, Dave.

I don't think it was deliberate - I think it is a just a BUG in the "parallella_defconfig" file on GitHub.

Bye,

Tony.
Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Return to Linux/U-Boot