[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - Headless Kickstart board SSH address problem

Headless Kickstart board SSH address problem

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Headless Kickstart board SSH address problem

Postby leon_heller » Wed May 18, 2016 10:21 am

I got one of the first Kickstart boards and have never been able to get it to do anything until today. Whatever I've tried, the single LED coming on is all that happens. I sat down yesterday determined to get it to do something. Using a different 2A PS and the 2016 headless distribution this morning I have just got the second LED to come on with the first blinking at 1 Hz. Presumably, it has now booted satisfactorily at last!

I'm using PuTTY under Win 7 x64 for SSH comms, but can't get it to work. The ID on the board and on the box is 04:4F:8B:00:04:3E, but when I type that into PuTTY as the host name it doesn't get recognised. Leaving out the colons gives the same result. I've never used SSH before.

What is the magic incantation that I type into PuTTY?

I've just seen that I need a crossover Ethernet cable. My local computer shop is adding one to their order and will have it in stock tomorrow.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
leon_heller

Re: Headless Kickstart board SSH address problem

Postby DonQuichotte » Wed May 18, 2016 11:37 am

Hi

What helped me best is the Suzanne Matthews tutorial on SSH - in the "How to" section iirc.
I made my own tutorial for Linux but it might help as I also use Putty - available under "parallella-examples/paralle2/doc", github or last 2016.3.1 headless Zynq 7020 image.

If you choose the static IP as I or Olaf did recently, it should work ; did not test the DHCP method.
Good luck :)
DonQuichotte

Postby sebraa » Wed May 18, 2016 12:00 pm

sebraa

Postby leon_heller » Wed May 18, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks to both of you.

I connected the Parallella to the router using Ethernet. My laptop has a wi-fi connection to the router. I then opened the router as a web page and found the requisite IP address. Using that I was able to use PuTTY to establish an SSH connection, logged in and was into Ubuntu.

I've now got my Kickstarter board working, at last!
Leon Heller
G1HSM
leon_heller

Postby Olaf » Wed May 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Olaf

Return to Linux/U-Boot